My Cutlass Project. HOMGZ! (Carnage pics; btm of page 4)

digitaloutsider

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digitaloutsider

• slick

• 99RegalGS

• IRONDOG442

Use MegaSquirt and do your own tuning.

BTW, heres the dimensions of the LX5. Rob wanted me to post them up, he's in his garage.

Front to Rear- Front manifold to rear flange by th O2 31"

Side to Side- From the Tensioner bolt to the crossover 28"

I already have a place to get the OSV badges from. Not a big deal.

As far as the Northstar goes, that WAS in RWD form. I'm sure that's a big difference when it comes to fitment.

I can't measure the LQ1 with it still in the car, but from what I've measured of the engine bay itself, I'd say the LX5 should fit. There might be MINOR issues, but I don't see any major problem with it. And there's nothing a BFH can't fix. :lol:

lol. I'll pass! Thanks, though!

I was reading up on MegaSquirt. I really REALLY want to use a GM PCM for the sheer compatibility with everything else onboard the car. I suppose if HPTuners/DHP can't help me out, I can always retain OBD-I and still tune with a MAF.

Use MegaSquirt and do your own tuning.

BTW, heres the dimensions of the LX5. Rob wanted me to post them up, he's in his garage.

Front to Rear- Front manifold to rear flange by th O2 31"

Side to Side- From the Tensioner bolt to the crossover 28"

I wouldn't use MegaSquirt on an application like this. If the engine bay is gonna be as much a problem as you say it is, then Shun will have enough issues to work out, let alone jumping into a standalone engine management program. MS's main customer base is for people who are running setups for which there is no engine management system available (Converting from carb to injected or from throttle body injection to multi-port injection.) The thing about MS is that its more or less an educated guess to start out with as far as fuel maps go. (This is assuming you get it all together perfectly fine, Not saying its incredibly hard, but ive seen a couple MS projects abandoned because either it ran worse than before or they couldnt even get it started, due to improper configuration or fuel maps that are inccorrect that particular engine).

MS is good for someone who needs to be into cars much further than they already are :lol:

That being said, I had decided that this was the route i was going to take if i had gotten the starion of my dreams. as you can see, I do not drive a starion. Not because I was afraid of the project, but because my parents deemed it unwise to buy "such an old car". (only 4 years older than the lumina).

My thoughts exactly on MegaSquirt. There HAS to be some way to tune this PCM. I wonder how INTENSE, ZZP, DHP, etc. do their off the shelf PCM programming. Someone said that ZZP uses HPTuners, but I find it very hard to believe that they have to throw a PCM in a car everytime they want to flash it. There has to be an out-of-the-car solution. Even if there isn't, there has to be a way to program this PCM without a Tech-II.

Does anyone know a LOT about how OBD-II and tuning works?!

Thanks for your advice, mra32.

I truthfully think that your gonna have fitment issues in the front to back.

Even though, say near the top, it looks like its gonna fit, I bet those exhaust manifolds will get pretty damn close to the fans. So... you may have to resort to mounting them on the front side of the radiator. Then, you will have to figure out what your gonna do about the rear manifold and downpipe fitment issues. I do know, for a fact, that the 1.5 gens have a lot more space around the rear exhaust manifold and downpipe area than the gen 1's.

Im sure you can get oske slim fitting fans.. FOr example, a guy named Tyre added a 4.9 PFI to an 82 Citation:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/264000-264999/264625_9_full.jpg

He also put this same motor into a 92 IIRC Z34 (Same as that guy who made the Lumina look like a storm trooper..)

I seriously think the LX5 can fit whitout much of an issue..

..But Im with Shaun and the BFH principle!

Im sure you can get oske slim fitting fans.. FOr example, a guy named Tyre added a 4.9 PFI to an 82 Citation:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/264000-264999/264625_9_full.jpg

He also put this same motor into a 92 IIRC Z34 (Same as that guy who made the Lumina look like a storm trooper..)

I seriously think the LX5 can fit whitout much of an issue..

..But Im with Shaun and the BFH principle!

I don't think a hammer will solve the fitment issues in this case, unless you pound in the firewall SEVERAL inches in a big ass area. To safely modify it, you would want to cut and reweld the metal to get it to fit.

I'm going to head to the J/Y sometime and measure an engineless first-gen to see what room I have to play with. If it, in fact, does have extreme fitment issues, I guess I'll drop the LX5 idea, as much as I really hate to do that.