6.5's in the door?

birdman

Well... personally, I like to leave the factory grills in place. I don't like to see speakers, gives it more of a stealth install. Your main concern should be the window glass when rolling down the window and if the 6.5's will fit under the grill.

But, if you want to remove the factory grill, then you will gain a bit more room, and shouldn't have any issues. Only problem with this is the fact that now you have an ackward shaped hole that you want to fit a round speaker into. Your gonna have gaps that you will have to deal with.

Another reason why the grille is there, is because its in the door, a spot where it can easily be hit. So the grille will protect your investment.

Definately! I see people all the time with custom kickpanels with nice speakers, and wonder how the hell those speakers survive down there with no grills. I know i use my kickpanel for a foot rest whenever i'm driving.

I'm going to use UQ3 Cutlass (90+) grilles.. They go down to the corners of the front doors, follow the contour real nice, and will give that stealth look.. (Though part of me wants to try the Bose grilles. I would do this if I knew I could easily remove the gaudy BOSE lettering.)

But everyone is right.. Keep the grilles in your doors.. Will look worlds better and not advertise what you have.. Because speakers, IMO, are NOT worth the work in replacing a broken window..

..Keep em covered, or if the grilles arent high enough, get the Cutty grilles..

i know i took measurements for a 1.5 gen lumina. i'm pretty sure 6.5s fill as long as you don't make the pods too deep. unless you're just making baffles, then you shouldn't have a problema t all

really, the problem with putting 6.5" speakers in a 5.25" original speaker place is that the door frame only has the 5.25 hole in it. So if you put 6.5" you have to be careful of the placement as its a bigger difference than one would think.

Grilles...

IMG_0774.jpg

One on each door.. I am going to try these and a set of bose ones for my Lumina.. (I want to try each).. I like them because as I stated before, I want a very low key looking install.. I don't want chester mc g unit to walk by and see "OMGz.. Dis whip gots da ALPINE type R compz y0!"

Good luck Birdman..

Damn...I wish I had heard about these before. Oh well. most people wont even know what kind of components me and jay have just by looking at them :)

Indeed! :thumb:

Although I thought about getting these door panels, but Im glad I didnt. Even though I think theres alot more custom work involved in what we did.

BTW, did you get MDF rings for yours? Im thinking I might have to, as the plastic isnt much for the screws to catch on to.