45 or 40 series for 18"

97loudcut

That's what I was thinking.. but Jay (xtremelumina) runs a 45 on his 18's and Chris (Slick) was thinking I should run a 45 as well.

I know badassoldspower runs a 40 series on his 18" 077's..

Adam what did you run?

245/40/18 is my choice. Gives the tires a bit of a sidewall. I don't like rubberbands.

Oh nice Mr. "I would go atleast a 45 or 50 series" :lol:

Shit, I had that wayyy backwards. I meant 240/45/18. I totally mistyped that!

Ok im gonna help where I can, I run a 245/40-18 I like it, but it doesnet fill my wheel gap well enough, although if you were to go to a 245/45-18, you would lose how large the rim looks, a 225/45-18 is outta the question for an 8 inch wide rim IMHO. AWEB80 ran a 235/50-18 which is whats on my dads 02 GTP now, and neither my dad nor I like that combo. 97Loudcut, if i were you, get an aggressive tread pattern 245/40-18, you are like me, you will love the aggressive ride, handling and appearance.

And BTW, quit copying my car!

Thats not a 245 wide tire man, you need to remember, on a wider tire, the sidewall is larger than that of a small width tire with the same aspect ratio, 245 is the width, 40 is the aspect ratio which is 40% of the width. So, the aspect ratio is xx% of tire width, therefore when width increases, so does the sidewall height.

Thats not a 245 wide tire man, you need to remember, on a wider tire, the sidewall is larger than that of a small width tire with the same aspect ratio, 245 is the width, 40 is the aspect ratio which is 40% of the width. So, the aspect ratio is xx% of tire width, therefore when width increases, so does the sidewall height.

yeah...EXACTLY!...a 245/45/18 equal to a 225/60/16, BUT...since your car came with 215/60/16's, you'd prolly be closer to the diameter of stock if you went with the 245/40/18's...which, i'm sure is why kenny chose that size for his cutlass...

I never knew that, thanks alot!

Thanks for the info guys.. looks like I will be going either 245 or 255/45/18

As someone mentioned, the sidewall height is a percentage of the width. Jay has 225/45R18 if I recall, they are only 25.9" diameter so they are much shorter than 245/45R18's (26.7") and are closer to 245/40's (25.7").

I have 245/45R18 on my 89.

1. They rub on full lock. I thought it was just rubbing the plastic liners, but now I see it rubbed the metal a little.

2. They look kinda fat, especially on the front. I guess because they stick out more in the front thanks to GM's wider front track. It gives the illusion that the front tires are bigger than the rear.

If I were to do it again, I might go with 245/40R18 instead, or a staggered setup of 235/45R18 up front and 245/45R18 in the rear - won't help performance, but might help the looks.

I would NOT go with 255/45R18 (27" diameter) because that will also increase the height of the sidewall, they will look even fatter. Not to mention they will rub like crazy in the front.

I put 235/45R18 (26.3" diameter) on the 94 convertible and I think they are a perfect size. No rubbing at all.

As someone mentioned, the sidewall height is a percentage of the width. Jay has 225/45R18 if I recall, they are only 25.9" diameter so they are much shorter than 245/45R18's (26.7") and are closer to 245/40's (25.7").

I have 245/45R18 on my 89.

1. They rub on full lock. I thought it was just rubbing the plastic liners, but now I see it rubbed the metal a little.

2. They look kinda fat, especially on the front. I guess because they stick out more in the front thanks to GM's wider front track. It gives the illusion that the front tires are bigger than the rear.

If I were to do it again, I might go with 245/40R18 instead, or a staggered setup of 235/45R18 up front and 245/45R18 in the rear - won't help performance, but might help the looks.

I would NOT go with 255/45R18 (27" diameter) because that will also increase the height of the sidewall, they will look even fatter. Not to mention they will rub like crazy in the front.

I put 235/45R18 (26.3" diameter) on the 94 convertible and I think they are a perfect size. No rubbing at all.

Thank you so much, I have been waiting for your response.