Oil

hoodilio

After trying all of those, I now use 3 quarts of 10w-30 durablend, 1 quart 10w-40 synthetic and fill the filter with 1/2 a quart of 10w-40 maxlife.

Wonder if they can make a drink special based on that?

Jeff, that's a weird concoction, but if it does the job then more power to ya'.

I'll have to try that out on my next vehicle, maybe with a splash of ATF! hehe... :shock:

- RedFox340

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• gp90se

• Bolt_Crank

• gimp19

lol atf funny you should mention that...if ya ever go over on an oilchange by a lot, put in a quart, let it run for 4 or 5 minutes and drain, works as good if not better then engine flush (paint thinner).

my oil stayed in long enough to darken this time, so ill have 2 do another 1 before i got carlisile next week.

-Jeff

lol atf funny you should mention that...if ya ever go over on an oilchange by a lot, put in a quart, let it run for 4 or 5 minutes and drain, works as good if not better then engine flush (paint thinner).

It's rare that I go over (but it happens) and have done that myself.

I, too, work at a quick lube shop here in town (Grease Monkey); I know some un-orthodox maintenance short-cuts / procedures.

- RedFox340

Are you serious? I've heard of people adding 1L of 10W30 to their tranny fluid because it helps "smoothen" the shifts, although I've never done that and I never will. However, using tranny fluid as engine flush is something I've never heard of before or never tried.

Personally, I'd keep ATF where it belongs and use engine oil only in the engine. I might be old-school but the way I see it you should stick to what the manufacturer recommends...

my oil stayed in long enough to darken this time, so ill have 2 do another 1 before i got carlisile next week.

-Jeff

ive seen many cars come in with broken down oil, and i try 2 keep fluids where they belong.

did my oil and tranny 2day...i think my tranny is bout had it, with 6 new pints and a bottle of lucas its still slippin, ill kill it off later with the T3

o yea, if you got a gasket leak (such as tranny gasket), brake fluid on the OUTSIDE of the gasket will help swell the gasket and slow down leaks.

-Jeff

Yeah, I definitely heard of that one, using brake fluid softens the tranny seal a bit. I remember some idiot pouring that shit directly into his tranny fluid and another member mentioning that it was supposed to be used on the outer area of the tranny pan that's leaking.

By the way, what other "shortcuts" do you guys know of?

Depends on what you need / looking for? Got a specific question?

[example] I can do a tranny flush in 10 minutes, with no major equipment; only wrenches. [/example]

Let us know what you're hunting for... might have a shortcut for ya'.

- RedFox340

Anything concerning fluids would be great. I don't believe in those BS "snake oils" and such.

Depends on what you need / looking for? Got a specific question?

[example] I can do a tranny flush in 10 minutes, with no major equipment; only wrenches. [/example]

Let us know what you're hunting for... might have a shortcut for ya'.

- RedFox340

• 1 month later...
Well, from personal accounts, I love Valvoline and Havoline.

- RedFox340

agree! Valvoline is great. .....don't go synthetic because you should only use synthetic from first oil change on. don't run regular then switch, not wise.

Synthetic oil: great stuff for motors with good gaskets, you can always go from regular oil 2 synthetic but not supposed to go back.

you should NEVER break in a motor with synthetic oil for the first 10k, the valve seals wont seat right.

I use 1 quart of synthetic in my oil durring an oilchange and have yet to have an issue with leaking, clogging or oil pressure.

o yea, if you do switch from synthetic back, just make sure you let the drain plug stay outfor an hour so as much as the old synthetic oil comes out.

-Jeff

Wow my old car has alot of catching up to do, 178,000 is pretty impressive.

Mine is at 222,604 today at work, and runs like a champ. Never did a rebuild, never had to re[lace any major engine component (just htings that are famous for going out, water pump, alternator, starter, little shit) the rest of the car is kinda hurting, but mine has had mobil 1 synthetic since day 1. never burn oil. i can go about 9000K before an oil change as long as i keep up on filter changes regularly. I could probly go more, but i choose not to, although when i drain it, it looks like it just came out of the bottle, even after 9000 miles.

just a thaught

- Justin

Any one ever use Royal Purple oil, and if so i am wundering if i should use their 5w30 or 10w30 on my 1993 Cutlass Supreme with a 3100v6

I would use it if i could afford it.... its hella good from what i hear... used in many exotics and shit from the factory

- Justin

Synthetic oil: great stuff for motors with good gaskets, you can always go from regular oil 2 synthetic.

you should NEVER break in a motor with synthetic oil for the first 10k, the valve seals wont seat right.

Totally Agree.

I use 1 quart of synthetic in my oil durring an oilchange and have yet to have an issue

with leaking, clogging or oil pressure.

This is the BEST synthetic BLEND on the market. You never know what percentage of synthetic

most commercial blends are. But your 1 quart synthetic / 3 quarts dino oil is 25% synthetic!

Wow my old car has alot of catching up to do, 178,000 is pretty impressive.

Mine is at 222,604 today at work, and runs like a champ. Never did a rebuild, never had to re[lace any major engine component (just htings that are famous for going out, water pump, alternator, starter, little shit) the rest of the car is kinda hurting, but mine has had mobil 1 synthetic since day 1. never burn oil. i can go about 9000K before an oil change as long as i keep up on filter changes regularly. I could probly go more, but i choose not to, although when i drain it, it looks like it just came out of the bottle, even after 9000 miles.

just a thaught

- Justin

So your trying to say you only change your oil every 9k?!? You just change the filter? wow, I've never heard of that.

for the most part, if you NEVER move any heavy loads, or do a lot of stop and go traffic, and never accell. too hard, and generally baby the car, synthetic will last that long (my brother went to 6k over his oil change time.... and he beats on his car -.-)

for the most part, if you NEVER move any heavy loads, or do a lot of stop and go traffic, and never accell. too hard, and generally baby the car, synthetic will last that long (my brother went to 6k over his oil change time.... and he beats on his car -.-)

i am foot to the floor everywhere i go. synthetic doesnt break down like regular oil so as long as you keep it clean, you shouldnt have a problem. like i said, i change filters regularly and the oil still looks brand new comin out of the engine. besides, at $5.00 a quart sometimes, it gets costly, plus i drive way to much, i have been known to put 1000 miles on my car in 4 days fo around town driving... lolz...

- Justin