• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• gp90se

• Bolt_Crank

• gimp19

What would all u guys recomend for the best oil (non-synthetic)? Or which type of oil do u prefer?

Well, from personal accounts, I love Valvoline and Havoline. Two reasons:

1.) clean oil / no dark tints with no falty additives

2.) little or no wax; Penzoil and Quaker State are refined to have more wax and that's why you'll see more oil consumption / tail pipe smoke due to the wax burning away. Plus, there more gunk deposits with using those brands.

My mom's 1971 Plymouth Demon was burning oil like crazy back in it's day; switched to Havoline, and haven't seen a puff of blue smoke till the day it hit the junkyard. Now that's results I think.

- RedFox340

Everyone touts differences between the non-synthetic oils but in my opinion there is little if any. Its all with a buck of each other in price, its all up to the same standards just about, I use penzoil high mileage and I don't burn any oil whatsoever.

I use Advance Auto's brand of oil because its 88 cents a quart.

HAH! I use Walmart SuperTech because it's 78 cents a quart. :lol:

I switched from Castrol GTX to SuperTech and haven't noticed a bit of difference at all. Only thing is Castrol is a brownish color while SuperTech is more of a yellowish honey color.

I have a '91 Regal GS with the 3800 TPI and 4T60, all original transmission and engine with 180,000km.

I use MaxLife 10W30 in the summer and Formula-1 0W30 sythetic blend in the winter.

I did an oil change three days ago and I used Quaker State Peak Performance 10W30 because it was on sale, and this is my first time using this brand of oil. I like to stick to Valvoline MaxLife during the summer but I was running low on cash and Quaker Staet Peak Performance was on sale.

What would all u guys recomend for the best oil (non-synthetic)? Or which type of oil do u prefer?

Word of warning for Redturbo90 about using Mobil Drive Clean.(non-synthetic) oil. I was changing the oil on the wifes regal using this oil and the 1st quart looked and poured normally (light brownish a poured normal speed) then, the next 3 quarts looked lite and poured as fast as water. I am guessing those 3 qts were either a bunch of additives or just skimmed off the top of the tank and thus much lighter in viscosity. I called Mobil and they sent me a check for the amount paid. This probably could happen with any brand of oil if improper mixing was done at the refinery, so don't just pour in the oil with your brain somewhere else and burn a motor on a hot day/run.

I use Advance Auto's brand of oil because its 88 cents a quart.

HAH! I use Walmart SuperTech because it's 78 cents a quart. :lol:

I switched from Castrol GTX to SuperTech and haven't noticed a bit of difference at all. Only thing is Castrol is a brownish color while SuperTech is more of a yellowish honey color.

I've thought about doing the same thing, if I knew for sure expensive brand name oils were not helping my car at all I'd buy what ever was the cheapest. But I'd also spend $10 on a quart if I knew it would make my car last longer. Thats how much I love my car :kiss:

I've thought about doing the same thing, if I knew for sure expensive brand name oils were not helping my car at all I'd buy what ever was the cheapest. But I'd also spend $10 on a quart if I knew it would make my car last longer. Thats how much I love my car :kiss:

I'm pretty sure, I have used SuperTech exclusively in Penny's car since she bought it in 1995 and it has 178,000 miles on it now.

I run SuperTech in every car except my TGP. I use Mobil 1 Synthetic in it only because it's turbocharged.

Your old car is not so old at all, and I got that flip-flopped. Penny's old '88 has 187,000.

88 Cutlass Supreme 187,000

89 Cutlass Supreme 198,000

90 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo 82,000

94 Cutlass Supreme 122,000

99 Chevy Silverado 114,000

Your car has hardly any miles at all!

I would be very happy to reach the 200,000mi mark with my cutty but I'm not sure if the salty western NY winers will allow me. Just this weekend I had a rusty front lower spring plate/mount rust out on me and cause the spring to push right on to the tire. I'm very lucky I was just turning into my parking space when it happened, if I was going 55 my me and my car might have died.

The car itself is in very good shape and not rusty at all, even most of the underbody and rocker panels. But rust likes to collect around the front and rear strut assembly's. :cuss: :guns: Salt

Your old car is not so old at all, and I got that flip-flopped. Penny's old '88 has 187,000.

89 Cutlass Supreme 198,000

Your car has hardly any miles at all!

You only put 1,000 miles on your cutlass last year? This page says it had 197,000+ in April '02 http://www.w-body.com/my-cutlass/index.html

I was looking at your car page cause my sisters friend loves my car, and she came over to tell me there was a red Cutlass with ground fx. for $1000 down the road from my house.

So I showed her a pic of your car to see if thats what it looked like.

I went down and looked at it its in really good shape and has all options execpt leather, if she dont buy it I just might. The paint looked really good and I didn't see no rust, I'm going back Wendsday cause it was kinda dark.

It looks just like this: my-olds.jpg

we have Presidents Choice oil, for like 69 cents a quart.... and that's Canadian! I don't use it :P

This President of ours sure is one cheap-ass mother phucker.

You only put 1,000 miles on your cutlass last year? This page says it had 197,000+ in April '02 http://www.w-body.com/my-cutlass/index.html

Yep. I spun out in an evasive maneuver a long time ago and flat-spotted the already worn-out tires. It vibrates like crazy above 40mph now, almost impossible to drive.

I didn't want to buy new tires as I was changing my wheels anyway, so I decided to go ahead and buy the new wheels and tires. Turns out, my new wheels won't fit thanks to the front caliper bracket, but they might fit if I change to the 96+ front knuckles with the bigger rotors. I've acquired all the front end parts necessary to do this, but the guy used a pickle fork to pop the balljoints, so their boots are ruined. So where it stands is I need to buy a new pair of balljoints... also the knuckles came from a Michigan car so they're rusty as hell and I'll need to get them stripped and repainted as well. I figured since I was changing out the knuckles, I'd go ahead and get some ST lowering springs which I just got last weekend.

Since Penny and I carpooled to work, we just drove the truck 2-3 days/week and the 94 Cutty the remainder of the week. Now that she's gone part-time and we have to drive separately, the truck is my daily driver so I've been taking my time on the 89. I'd like to get most of the work on the 89 done this month, because I'd like to drive it again and I'm getting real sick of hopping over spare parts on the garage floor. :)

My oil cap also suggests 5W30. Well, that's the original oil that the manufacturer uses during break-in period and that oil is year-round as well and protects colder and hotter temperature ranges.

As the engine ages or if you are constantly carry heavy loads on your car like towing, etc., you need thicker oil.

Some people I know they use 10W30 during winter and then use heavier oil during summer. For me 10W30 is what I use on my 160,xxx miles car.

All right, something I know well.....i work at valvoline instant oilchange and put no more then 1000k or my oil or oil filter before I change them.

Best oil Ive run in my GP is 10w30 durablend, durablend is about 30% synthetic heated with conventional oil to increase oil flow. Ive used everything from:

5w-30 regular

10w-30regular

10w-40 regular

15w-40 regular (o-ring let go the week before)

10w-30 synthetic (started my o-ring leak)

20w-50 synthetic (it was hot outside)

10w-30/40 maxlife (it helps if your gaskets are starting 2 leak)

After trying all of those, I now use 3 quarts of 10w-30 durablend, 1 quart 10w-40 synthetic and fill the filter with 1/2 a quart of 10w-40 maxlife.

no leaks, runs no hotter then 210 degrees at any given time, idles better then regular oil.

-Jeff