Amp location

99montez34

Where do you have the most room? Id mount it on the back of the box, because if it has a fan, you can and cannot mount it certain ways. But if it does, you can mount it vertically and keep the amp nice and cool.

How about neither? I would never mount an amp to the back of the sub box. It just makes it way to easy for thieves.

i was just gonna say that.. i got mine on the back of my back seats..then again mine flip down..worst comes to worst make a amp rack for it

Well personally guys, I dont have to worry about getting it stolen. So don't worry about that. What's better though? On top or on the back of the box? Note: the amp isn't fan cooled.

ampboard2.jpg

There's a tab directly underneath the lip of the trunk (where the weatherstrip is pressed on) that you can use to mount the top of the amp board. I made a bracket for the bottom of the amp board that attaches to the bumper bolt:

bumperbolt.jpg

lowerbracket.jpg

My Rockford Fosgate amp manual says never to mount and amp upside down or horizontial because the amp will not cool properly if mounted that way. Mount it on the back of the sub box and get a good alarm and a big gun like me. If your amp overheats and goes out because its mounted in a way to make it harder to steal what good is it anyway????

Jay, the only problem I see with yours is that they are laying directly on the floor of trunk. I would recommend putting spacers between the amps and the floor for better cooling.

Acutally they stay pretty cool. The Nine.1 is literally cold to the touch. Even in the summer when I was 90+ outside, it wasnt hot. The Nine.4 ( since it doesnt have an internal fan ) was a little hotter, but was still fairly cool. But I think the air movement in the trunk also helps this.

Mine is currently mounted to the top of my box, no cooling problems, I pushed it retty hard this summer and never had to worry about heat (although I only checked on it a few times) Of course you can only do this if you ahve enough space... Mine still hase about a 1.5" gap between the top of the amp and the bottom of the deck, enough I can get my hand through the gap... get too close and any fans will be completely useless.

Eventually mine will be mounted vertical on a rack / box combination made to fit my trunk... It will be made so that there will be no "quick" way to get it out, making it harder to steal.

Not to mention as soon as I have the funds available, I'm getting a decent alarm system for the car

Jamie

ampboard2.jpg

There's a tab directly underneath the lip of the trunk (where the weatherstrip is pressed on) that you can use to mount the top of the amp board. I made a bracket for the bottom of the amp board that attaches to the bumper bolt:

bumperbolt.jpg

lowerbracket.jpg

Thats exactly what I did with the bracket and all. Now I dont ever use wood or metal or bolts or anything like that. Just wrap the amp in foil, foam around it and carve a perfectly molded enclosure allowing for cooling and wire routing. then carpet it.

you may want to lay down some foil before you foam in case you ever want to clean it out.

I had an amprack in my trunk but I didn't like it to much. I would just mount it either to the top of the box (if you have room) or the side. It depends on where all the settings knobs are and what would make it the easiest to get to them. I personally like the Kicker amps because most of there settings are on the top of the amp, which I don't see a lot of.