Wheres the oil going

CdnCutty

95 cutlass....I have just passed 67,500kms so my oil change is due in about 2000km...I went and check my oil as I do about evety 2-3 weeks and to my surprise the oil is at the bottom "o" on the dipstick....the oil is as clean as the day I changed it...it doesnt smell like burning oil when I drive...and there's no oil puddles under the car....any ideas? anyways I topped it off with about 900ml and it was back at the top...

What kind of oil is it that you're losing so quickly? What brand and weight? If you can't see the oil leaking from anywhere on the engine, & there is no oil in your coolant reservoir, then you may be burning a lot of oil. Are you sure that there are no oil puddles? Drive the car a bit, and then park it with newspaper underneath to be certain.

I use Quaker state 5w30 just regular motor oil...There is no oil in the coolant, the oil as I said is clean...let me take a look at the back of the motor..last I checked it was dark as if there was a layer of oil...but the oil is not fresh, to my knowledge anyways....and to boot the original owner drove less than 10km a week and he never had to add oil in between changes...I've only had the car 6 months...And I don't drive it hard.

Check your valve cover gaskets and your distributor o-ring. If you don't know what the O-ring is see the write up in the FAQ.

You could be losing oil but not seeing it reach the bottom of the motor/ground.

I use Quaker state 5w30 just regular motor oil...There is no oil in the coolant, the oil as I said is clean...let me take a look at the back of the motor..last I checked it was dark as if there was a layer of oil...but the oil is not fresh, to my knowledge anyways....and to boot the original owner drove less than 10km a week and he never had to add oil in between changes...I've only had the car 6 months...And I don't drive it hard.

The "old" oil could be new but covered in dirt do you live/drive around alot of dirt?

Check your valve cover gaskets and your distributor o-ring. If you don't know what the O-ring is see the write up in the FAQ.

The car in question is a 3100 (L82) isn't it?

If so...

To loose that much oil, the valve cover gaskets would practically need to have a gushing leak. If that were the case, he'd sure as hell be able to easily notice it just from the oil being all over the front of the engine block. I think checking out the O-ring is a good suggestion though.

The car in question is a 3100 (L82) isn't it?

If so...

To loose that much oil, the valve cover gaskets would practically need to have a gushing leak. If that were the case, he'd sure as hell be able to easily notice it just from the oil being all over the front of the engine block. I think checking out the O-ring is a good suggestion though.

Well, I guess I didn't understand how much oil he was burning. I have no clue what "o" he is referring to on the dipstick.

900mL is damn near a quart for reference...

Have someone follow behind you, and let her rip right to redline a few times...see if the guy following you sees any blue/black smoke from the car.

My friend had a Cavy Z24 courtesy car when his Mustang was getting fixed..(2.4twin cam POS lol)..it would burn oil, but only if you revved it over 4k rpm or so....at redline it would burn tons of oil and fill the street with smoke lol..at first he didn't know this so the car was 2 quarts low (we found this out after the motor started to have a slight knock to it...) anyway a week later we blew the flex coupler at the bottom of the exhaust manifold clean off and the courtesy car got towed back to the body shop lol....the shop owner couldn't care less it seems haha

Just so you know, when my intake gaskets were bad, and the dis. o-ring was bad, I was loosing 2-3 quarts per week!

That's a hell of a lot of oil. UIM I'm assuming Jay? LIM's usually bad news for an entirely different reason (as you know all too well).

Looks like lower intake manifold gaskets...are beginning to leak...theres a bulid up of oil on the passenger side under the power steering reservoir...and beside the belt tensioner...I also noticed a little bit of oil in the collant...only the reservoir though

Just so you know, when my intake gaskets were bad, and the dis. o-ring was bad, I was loosing 2-3 quarts per week!

That's a hell of a lot of oil. UIM I'm assuming Jay? LIM's usually bad news for an entirely different reason (as you know all too well).

yeah the UIM gasket was bad. The whole surrounding area was black from the oil. Took me hours to clean everything.

Looks like lower intake manifold gaskets...are beginning to leak...theres a bulid up of oil on the passenger side under the power steering reservoir...and beside the belt tensioner...I also noticed a little bit of oil in the collant...only the reservoir though

I would look into changing the LIM gaskets. Has the LIm gasket ever been changed before? I really dont know why it would only be in the reservoir, but either way, thats not good.

Good News...tested the coolant...no oil just sludge...funny enough I had a rad flush and thermostat change not even 2 months ago..they drained it but failed to flush the system of all the sludge(bastards) so I'm ok in that department...as for the gaskets I'm gonna look into it in the spring. The mechanics here at work told me not to worry much right now cause the car is running fine just losing abit of oil...one mechanic recommeded CD2 stop leak for gaskets and said it may do the trick for a few months....(anywayz I'm not keeping this car forever so if I change the gaskets like I said , it"ll be in the spring) my dads gaskets on his 94 CS have been leaking for years and the sucker still runs strong. Thanks for all of your help with the matter you've all been a big help!!!

my 94 cutty 3100 has been like that for the past 2 years that i have had it it goes through about a quart a month of pennzoil so it is no big deal to me. it bugs me because i never see a leak or smoke or anything. s i just grew to live with it for now until spring, it still purrs like a kitten though for 113950 miles

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

I put her up on the lift last night and got a better look at the base of the engine...passenger side near the top of the oil pan...a little higher up you can see a concentration of oil...but no drop...just caked on oil...if you look close enough you can see oil just under the belt tensioner...anyways the mechanics at the garage sad not to worry to much about it..just keep the oil level resonably topped off and you'll be ok for years. other than that they said the car is sound..suspension looks great and she puurs like a kitten....

my sister's 94 CS was burning oil at a similar rate, ran great, no smoke out the pipe...it was a bad LIM gasket...got that replaced and problem solved...haven't had to add oil yet.

I would just change the LIM gasket, its not bad to do yourself, just use the Fel-Pro Permadry's and forget about doing it again.