Synthetic oil users poll

Lexusfreak

What synthetic oil are you running & what grade?  

1. 1. What synthetic oil are you running & what grade?

• Amsoil
    • Mobil 1
    • Valvoline Synpower
    • Castrol Syntec
    • Quaker State
    • Pennzoil
    • Red Line
    • Royal Purple
    • Other (please specify)

SuperTech conventional oil is now Quaker State/Pennzoil. It was previously Mobil.

SuperTech synthetic seems to be it's own entity. It is produced by Warren Oil, but it's not a badge-engineered product. It's designed and manufactured exclusively for Wal-Mart, and is surprisingly good oil for the price. It's all I've used for the past two years.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digitaloutsider

• 5speedz34

• 99RegalGS

• SigEpCutlass

Here's a thread where someone requested information from Walmart about SuperTech oil.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB1&Number=765712&Searchpage=1&Main=764989&Words=Super+Tech&topic=&Search=true#Post765712

As you can see, it's kind a "grab bag" when it comes to what brand you actually get with Supertech. The majority of the SuperTech oil at both of the Walmarts in my is made by Warren/WPP oil.

Ive run a few different ones, so far the only one I dislike is royal purple. $7.75/quart, burned off, has an odd smell when warming the car up and since it was so dark 2 start with, it was impossible to check when it gets "dark"

I am runny syntec at the moment and have absolutely no problems. I think next I will run valvoline. I do my oil/filter change every 5k.

Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 Synthetic FTW!!!

Why do you use such a thin oil?

I use that formulation because it may very well be the best oil Amsoil makes that is not for racing. It's worked great, and the car warms up faster in the winter.

Here's a thread where someone requested information from Walmart about SuperTech oil.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=UBB1&Number=765712&Searchpage=1&Main=764989&Words=Super+Tech&topic=&Search=true#Post765712

As you can see, it's kind a "grab bag" when it comes to what brand you actually get with Supertech. The majority of the SuperTech oil at both of the Walmarts in my is made by Warren/WPP oil.

That's an outdated list. Circa late 2005.

Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30 Synthetic FTW!!!

Why do you use such a thin oil?

I use that formulation because it may very well be the best oil Amsoil makes that is not for racing. It's worked great, and the car warms up faster in the winter.

Have you noticed a difference in mpg with the thinner oil?! Also, should you be worried about how thin it is?

About the Wal-Mart oil: I work a Lube and Tire tech at Wal-Mart; I've heard that SuperTech was Mobil and I also heard that it was recycled oil. Is it better than Valvoline?! I mean for our oil change prices it's $2 more for Valvoline, so I usually push that since it's generally thought that the regular SuperTech is crap. I think in the 6 months I've been here we've put SuperTech synthetic in a vehicle once.

Recently, the 5W30 bottles have changed and the oil is now much clearer than it was before. This change happened in the end of July, beginning of August. Any thoughts?!

A LOT of oil is recycled.. that's why you take it to places who'll re-refine it rather than dumping it in a drain somewhere. A vast amount of the oil you buy contains recycled petrolium products.

Yeah, I figured that. But, tell that to the general public when you want to sell them an oil change.

Any more info on SuperTech?

I use Havoline 5w30 right now with an AC Dizzle filter.

Probably switch back to Royal Pizzle 10w30 when it get's spring tizzle

The newer AC Delco filters are E-core, since Champion Labs has moved to pretty much all E-core designs. This is why I've switched from my trusty SuperTech filters to Purolator PureOne's. Make sure you're using old stock, and not the new E-core filters.

I use Havoline 5w30 right now with an AC Dizzle filter.

Probably switch back to Royal Pizzle 10w30 when it get's spring tizzle

The newer AC Delco filters are E-core, since Champion Labs has moved to pretty much all E-core designs. This is why I've switched from my trusty SuperTech filters to Purolator PureOne's. Make sure you're using old stock, and not the new E-core filters.

WTF is E-core? Everywhere stopped stocking Purolators around here. I use Wix.

This is what a typical oil filter looks like:

spinonfilter.jpg

The filter element is held in place by perforated metal. E-core on the other hand uses a plastic "grate" to hold the element in place. It's very widely spaced, and under high pressure the element can collapse, causing filter failure and allowing contaminants back into the oil and the engine.

This is what a typical oil filter looks like:

spinonfilter.jpg

The filter element is held in place by perforated metal. E-core on the other hand uses a plastic "grate" to hold the element in place. It's very widely spaced, and under high pressure the element can collapse, causing filter failure and allowing contaminants back into the oil and the engine.

Wow, so its pretty much to save money? Can you look into a Delco filter and tell it has E-core?

I remember that article about the new filter design, and how it "imploded" on that one person. Is this what you're referring to?

I thought that was an isolated incident. The new design is suppose to be better than the older design also.

Wow, so its pretty much to save money? Can you look into a Delco filter and tell it has E-core?

Yes, it's for the most part a money saving move. You can look inside a filter and tell easily. If it's E-core it'll have little "windows" with the filter element exposed. I might go buy an e-core filter tonight if i can get a ride and disassemble it for pictures.

I remember that article about the new filter design, and how it "imploded" on that one person. Is this what you're referring to?

I thought that was an isolated incident. The new design is suppose to be better than the older design also.

I don't see how it could structurally be better at all. It just LOOKS cheap. However, as you said, it seems to be an isolated incident. I just don't like how it looks. I guess it all depends on the quality of the element and how well it'll stand up to the pressure. I've never had any bad luck with ANY Champion Labs filter, to be honest with you. (Champion Labs makes AC Delco, ValueCraft, K&N, Mobil 1, SuperTech, STP, and a few other store-brand filters).

When I worked at the quick-lube place, i saw 3 filters that had failed, and all 3 were frams

Frams are a whole different story alltogether. Cheap cardboard endcaps (yes, cardboard), poorly made plastic anti-drainback valves, small pleats, cheap element. Fram filters pretty poor all across the board.

Here's what the E-Core filter looks like

img0978zj2.jpg

A lot of people seem to like the design. I'm still a little iffy about it, but I've ran two E-Core ST filters over 5,000 miles with no ill effects, so I guess they're okay.

My pockets aren't deep enough to put synthetic in my POS.

x2 when I get a performance engine I'll use a performance oil. Old dino oil hasn't stopped our engines from going several hundered thousand miles/kilometers.

I did pick up 6qts of Motomaster full synthetic oil cause it was on sale (only a bit more than the regular oil).. I'll be putting it in the spring time.

Here's a link to information on the E-Core oil filter.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2004/11/03/270769.html

Ecore's advanced core design has up to 10 times more flow through area than traditional metal cores, resulting in reduced flow restriction across the filter element.

Tests indicate that Ecore's new roll seam design delivers up to 49 percent higher burst strength and its new nylon core increases collapse strength more than 50 percent.

Castrol Syntech 5w30.

My SL sat a year and started up like a top.

Your supposed to change oil if a car sits for more than 3 months or something like that.

Shawn, do cut open your filters each time?

Also, I'll have to look at these E-core filters next time I'm at work. As for Fram, its all we use in the shop we use the Fram "Pro" line which is identical to the regular orange Fram ones inside, I think. The higher up frams seem to be of a better design. Granted, I wouldn't use anything made by the Honeywell corporation.

EDIT: I guess Honeywell makes these other products.

* Autolite Spark Plugs

* Fram Filters

* Prestone Car-care Products

* Honeywell Auto B2B

* Garrett Turbochargers

* BendixBrakes

* Holts

God, I hate corporate America.