discussion for Convertible Interchange Information

ManicMechanic

I am still working on this. any info people would have is desired.

please be aware that most of my info is correct, but might contain inaccuracies. trying to fix and update as I go

p.s. I want to downgrade to the 88 switch! but my issue with the 88 replica, is whether it also has the international badge on the left of the bezel, like real internationals (ALL known[to me] 88 Pace Car Replicas were Internationals!) the sedan replica i found had the badging...

the cavaliers (at least my 88 z24, the interior was a step up from the old ones like that) had it in place of the rear glass defrost (fitting place, since it was a plastic window) which was on the right of the steering wheel, on the little pod for switches and stuff

You know what Ken? That switch and switch bezel looks a LOT like the one used in mid '80s Sunbirds... I'm gonna go do some investigating!!

It IS the same! The only difference being that the pace car switch has the car on it and I think that was done in 1987-88 on the Sunbirds. I'm gonna go check the Cavaliers.

c8_3.JPG

Thank you everone!!!! GENIUS!!!! I got a switch from a 84ish cavalier today but is is mounted in the wiper(iirc?) control pod to the right of the cluster. thus totally different. can anyone come up with the exact interchange info now?

I need that switch and the foglight switch.

I can get you a fog light switch as there's 3-4 around here unless you already have one. Any 1988-91 should have it. I would bet they used the small square one that was in the dash pod where the top switch is on our cars.

Let me look at the parts manual... I don't know if it's a separate piece.

I think that is a different switch... You are talking about the CS one that is in a black surround? sometime with the sound performance switch also attached?

Yes, I am speaking of that one. There had to be a fog light switch, whether it is the small square one that was in the big box on the CS or it was also liberated from the J body parts bin. What does a Ciera fog light switch look like?

The Pace Car didn't have the switch on the console like production cars.

it is not a CS switch, that is all I know. maybe a J. I want to see the car in person to document... etc.etc.etc.

wait a minute.... i dont understand fully what you guys are trying to figure out but.... my foglight switch is mounted no where near my dash.. it is by shifter... where is yours mounted??

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know! :cry:

I suspect they are similiar to the coupes. I plan to try one soon! they look like the same mechanism on brief inspection.

p.s. I know what the 88 foglight switch looks like now! it IS left of the top switch and about 2/3 of the top switches size. :cool:

Ken's going to drop off one of his broken hydraulic cylinders with all of the appropriate fittings, and I'm going to source out some cylinder's through a few sources that I have (for one is my dads machine shop, they build hydraulic tube benders, so I could ask him who they order cylinders through).

Hydro-E-Lectric is currently manufacturing over 100 convertible top cylinder styles, one specifically for your year, make and model. Available for all U.S. cars, Hess & Eisenhardt conversions, Nissan 240 SX, Saab 1986-94. If you don't see yours listed just contact us about availability. We can custom make cylinders to match special applications.

Well, I reckon I don't need to find a source. Once Ken gets me the broken cylinder, I'll be sure to take plenty of the needed measurements, give Ken or whoever the info, and you guys can have some cylinders!

What other mechanical parts break often that you guys need?

Ken - I looked at mine today and it's identical to the one that was in my '91 Sunbird.

This one is the exact one that is in my car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-Cavalier-Pontiac-Sunbird-Convertible-Top-Motor_W0QQitemZ120053197673QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33652QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

be careful though, the earlier J ones were different. I replaced my cav's one (88) with a sunbird one (92ish) and they have different connections. the cavalier one was

+- for up and -+ for down as opposed to - G + for up and + G - for down (or something like that, id have to figure out exactly. All I know is that to use the newer one, my dad and i had to wire in a bunch of relays to make it work. was faster, but it'd have been easier to get the same one. i dont know how ours are wired, i havent looked recently enough, but i guess my whole point is that I know for sure the J's had two different style wirings for the pumps :mrgreen: