3100 Intake Gasket replacement

jeremy

LIM gasket replacement I take it?

Well heres what I did, ( maybe itll help )

First I disconnected the battery then removed the airbox + air hose. Remove the front 3 plug wires. Remove the alternator, coil packs, and all brackets attaching to the plenum. Disconnect all wiring as well. Then after everything is out of the way, unbolt the plenum. Youll need to remove the passengers side dogbone to get to a valve cover bolt. Once the plenum is off, carefully remove the fuel rails and injectors. It is not needed that they rails be removed or disconnected. Just move off the to the side. Then remove the valve covers and finally the LIM. Once that is out, unbolt the rockers, and mark which pushrods go where. ( longer is the exhaust incase you do mess them up ) once they are out, take off the gasket. Clean all surfaces before installing anything. Then just to the opposite and put everything back together with the required torque specs.

Its a somewhat simple thing to do, theres just a lot of shit in the way and takes a good amount of time to do it.

If its too vauge, just lemme know.

x2 except I kept the fuel rail bolted to the LIM. I just disconnected the fuel quick-connect lines with the special tool. Also unbolt EGR, and I think I unbolted the p/s pump to get at the LIM side bolts. Can't remember offhand. I changed the rear valve cover gasket while at it but *technically* the rear valve cover can stay, just undo the 2 upper bolts to the LIM. Also the coolant line has to be disconnected. It's such an easy job.

Torque specs:

http://60degreev6.com/showthread.php?t=24938

though the LIM tightening sequence changed, and is included with the gasket set.

I did it in two days. Took it apart one day, and put it back together the next. It really can be done in one day, but my back started to hurt after leaning over the car for hours.......

I did it in two days. Took it apart one day, and put it back together the next. It really can be done in one day, but my back started to hurt after leaning over the car for hours.......

good solution: raise the car a few inches so you don't have to lean over it all day. Did that when replacing my engine, made it easier for me. Two jackstands and you should be pain free. :cool:

good solution: raise the car a few inches so you don't have to lean over it all day. Did that when replacing my engine, made it easier for me. Two jackstands and you should be pain free. :cool:

That is a damn good suggestion.

That is a damn good suggestion.

The car was on jackstands :lol: The problem is that when I got home from getting gaskets, my dad already had the car up on jackstands, when for me its actually easier if the car was on the ground. Im only 5'5" so when the car was on jackstands, I was actually climbing up and over the motor.

I feel your pain. I spent hour after hour leaning over my TGP when rebuilding. I'm about 6'1" so its a long way to lean. I finally raised it a bit so I wouldn't become a hunchback.

I figure I spend somewhere around 12hrs doing my LIM. However this was done over several days (after work) the week before christmas, and most of a Friday I had off. It does help having the car up a bit... my new 3ton speed jack was a big help LOL.