• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• supreme_style21

• ismellrealbad

• Robby1870

• cutlassdude96

try 10w30 or maybe next oil change use part synthetic. That sounds like the lifters bled down after sitting a while

Mine has made that since I bought it w/ 30,000 miles. Is it bad if the lifters do that? I ain't planning on spending that much for synthetic oil.. unless imminent damage is due.

ive run mine with the usual 5w30, 10w30, & 10w40 no difference - they all made that noise

I've done everything except synthetic.

well it could be either "piston slap" or it could be the lifters bleeding down. If you wanted to go as far as say, replace the lifters, then be my guest, but there's so many early 3100's making that noise and since nobody's 3100s are blowing up, then you're alright. Hell, my dad's 2002 Grand Prix 3100 makes a hint of that noise when it's cold

yeah, if something works dont fix it

Robby

Thats what I figure.. Most 3100s make the noise and nobody has problems with it, so, eh i guess.. just wondering what was goin' on inside that engine.

It is NOT piston slap, it IS the lifters/Rockers. The 3.1's can have the same problem at times. All 3100s have it. Some more noticable than others. The only thing you can do is either replce them all (and itll come back again) or change your Oil. Even SaberZ on this forum has that Impalla, and it does it.

My dad used (till the mid 90s) work for Chevy, he was a Master Tech, one of the top arround here too. SOOOO many people came in complaining about this. My moms 91 Lumina did this too.

And yes, I do get the "lord, your car is messed up" thing all the time. It also goes away after your car warms up too. In the winter, it sounds like a desiel. If I go out there now and firee her up, in 3 minutes or so, all you hear will be exhaust (and thats still quite quiet)

jon

Hell, go with solid roller lifters lol. I'm pretty sure the rockers are next to silent on a stock engine w/ stock cam, ESPECIALLY the 96+ 3100's with roller rockers, those suckers are quiet. Maybe aftermarket roller lifters are better, or GM improved the design so they don't bleed down?

LQ1's do the same for initial start up. For us it's two things: 1) initial tappet ticking due to the height of the OHC design where oil pressure takes a few moments to reach the cams; 2) injectors that give a constant ticking that's a little audible if you're standing in front of the car and if you really know what you're listening for inside the cab.

YAY for cost saving, old school, domestic engineering.

After talking to my dad, got more info.

If it goes away, its mainly just the lifters. This is how mine is right now. Even if it just fades away over time, its ok

But if it stays like that, and much louder, than it could be piston slap.

Jon

It is definately piston slap, the only way to fix it is new pistons the code J L82 engine is the worst one for this problem, The reason why a lot of 3100's are not blowing up is that a large majority of them are code M L82, and the piston slap problem is not as severe and detrimental to the engine. If you have a code J, you need pistons.

LQ1's do the same for initial start up. For us it's two things: 1) initial tappet ticking due to the height of the OHC design where oil pressure takes a few moments to reach the cams; 2) injectors that give a constant ticking that's a little audible if you're standing in front of the car and if you really know what you're listening for inside the cab.

YAY for cost saving, old school, domestic engineering.

My LQ1 doesn't make a sound at all. :)

Yeah, I would have code M also. Would the code J ones bee the newer ones, the ones that have the 175HP?

Jon

That would be correct, although some older engines are code J and some newer ones are still code M. I have a good picture showing a couple of the pistons in question from a code J engine showing various degrees of wear, I can mail it to someone if they have a site to host it.