got some new cleaning machines

THe_DeTAiL3R

Went to an auction today and got some cool stuff :D

Bissell carpet extractor!! $2.50!! Unfortunatly it only holds like 1/8th as much water as the one at work, and no heat... but I think it will come in handy. I need to fix it cause the little plastic tank leaks, but the unit does work.

img2945xl7.th.jpg

And I got this for $2. It's not car related, but I thought I'd throw it in LOL. My 3rd Kirby :lol:. This model was made 73-76 from what I read. It seems to work fine. ;)

img2947vi9.th.jpg

My Kirbys:

First one is a Kirby Tradition (1979-1981). However it's got a different "face", handle, and bag. So it has the appearance of a Kirby Heritage II (1984-1986). It's like a bastardized w-body, full of different parts :lol:

Second one is the one I got today... Kirby Classic Omega (1973-1976)

Third is a Kirby Heritage II Legend (1986-1989). I got it at the fair this summer... untested but I assume it works. Gonna put parts from #1 onto it.

img2948gd2.th.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirby_Company

they really didn't change a whole lot in several decades.. LOL. Last FOREVER though!

Kirbys are built like Sherman Tanks! My mom was a caretaker at the apartments we lived in when I was a kid, and the complex had a "herd" of Kirby's. I got quite familiar with them when I was delegated the "hallway vacuumer" at the complex :lol: . Even for an 11 year-old kid, those Kirbys were easy to keep in top shape!

Do either of your Heritage II's have the green light on the brush head that's supposed to light up when the belt is intact and the brush is spinning?

Kirbies are heavy mothers... my girlfriend's mom has one and I hated using the fucking thing until I realized it has a moving-helper switch on the back.. I dunno wtf else to call it lol :lol: I always tried to push it around on carpet while on "N"

Do either of your Heritage II's have the green light on the brush head that's supposed to light up when the belt is intact and the brush is spinning?

You mean the bright yellow light on the front of it?

On my Tradition (the first one that looks like a Heritage II) no lights work on it.

The Heritage II (w/ no bags) the light works, along with the Classic.

I'm not aware of any "green" light??

Kirbies are heavy mothers... my girlfriend's mom has one and I hated using the fucking thing until I realized it has a moving-helper switch on the back.. I dunno wtf else to call it lol :lol: I always tried to push it around on carpet while on "N"

Yeah the newer Kirbys (G4s and newer?) have power assist. I've used one before, very nice feature. Unfortunatly all mine are very old so yeah, they are heavy MOFOs to push around! LOL

The Heratige II's that we used each had a tiny green LED sticking out of the upper left side of the head, and it would light up whenever the beater bar was properly spinning. If the LED was not lit, then more likely than not the belt was broken...

I hate to break it to you Kirby lovers, but they are not the best vacuum, not to mention they are way over priced. Much credit though that they do last forever.

I read a mag article a long while back(a 99 issue IIRC) comparing the best vacs from all brands for personal use. #1 was a kenmore !! then #2 was a bissel, #3 was Eureka.... Kirby was like #7. phantom was like #11(remember those??)

BTW im a custodian. ive used several industrial vacs, here's the best vac ive ever used, and I use it daily.

http://www.pro-team.com/product_detail.asp?ProdBaseNum=100181&VacStyleID=1

back pack vacs FTW. :willynilly:

I'm not saying any of my old Kirbys compare to newer vacuums... hell it smells like dust when I use the damn things. Air filtration wasn't as advanced as it is now. I don't care if they are overpriced, I got mine for next to nothing!