whats the differenc between these trannys

95 BLKDOUT Drop Top

Ok i kno theres gotta be an obvious dif between the 4T60E, the 4T65E, and the 4T65E Heavy Duty, but what, I kno the 4T60E was used with the 60* engines and the 4t65e and 4t65e-hd were used with the 3800 motors but what exactly is the dif? My main question is can i use a 4T60E with a 3800II/ 3800II s/c?

the 4T65e basically replaced the 60-e. It's not necessarily application specific. There are 60-e's mounted to 3800's in '96-97 Buick Regals, '97 GP GT, etc. So yes you can use it with a 3800. The 60-e and 65-e are similar in some ways and different in others, without getting into much detail. The main "external" difference besides axles being different, is the 65-e doesn't use a vacuum controlled fluid pressure modulator, but does it with a solenoid. So you'll need a PCM that can control that.

Yup. You will need to use a '95 3.8 computer however that may not work on a series 2. If a series 2 needs a '96-97 PCM to function then you'll have some work ahead of you as far as wiring. I'm not familiar with 3800 engine management but yes, you can keep your tranny.

There are 60-e's mounted to 3800's in '96-97 Buick Regals, '97 GP GT, etc.

Regal LS's only. The GS's got the 4T65e-HD just like the GTP's did. The only year a Series II L67 was mated to a 4T60e was in 1996.

ok, thanks for that info shaun. i looked at a 97 GTP and couple friends hounded me and said it might be a no no cause it didnt have the HD trans. but now, i guess they all did!

back to my original question, i want to put a 3800 series 2 in my 95 cutty. from what i gather the s/c 3800s got the 60e-hd or the 65e-hd so a s/c motor is ou tthe question unless i swap the tranny (not happenin because it just got rebuilt) so my only option is a 3800 from a 96 regal

You CAN mate an L67 to your transmission, but it'll require a 4T60 flexplate (the mounting holes are different). They made HD's for a reason though, and I'm positive if you started actually modding the engine, you'd tear the input shaft in two and take the differential down eventually.

And I wouldn't bother swapping a 3800 in unless it was an L67. IMHO, of course.