how many watts does a typical headunit use?

THe_DeTAiL3R

I got my JVC CD player hooked up to an old computer power supply, and it works (although I don't have speakers hooked up to it).

Wondering how many watts does a typical headunit use? If it woun't blow up, I might hook up some speakers and use this as a little stereo in the bathroom...lol

If its an aftermarket headunit where the units wire harness hasnt been touched much, it should have a inline fuse. My Pioneer is 20A. And its one of those 50x4 units, so its not a cheap unit. So I think for my Pioneer, its 240 watts. Which I think any power supply from a computer has. Now if it was my Pioneer Premier unit, it would be 360 watts. I dont think you are going to get much more than 360 watts on any head unit because thats using a 30A fuse. and you cant get them any higher than that as a general rule i beleive.

Yeah it's got a 15amp fuse it in. The power supply I got is an old AT 250w from 1994, and I actually found it in an computer in the SCRAP YARD when I worked there doing security..LMAO. It's nice cause it's got the on/off button unlike the modern ATX power supplies.

Yea you can't necessarily determine wattage in terms of "usage" as watts is an output measure. Amps would be what you need to measure. You should have your output watts, as well as your power source (12v) you can figure your watts using Ohm's law

Chances are, the 12V output of an old AT power supply can't supply enough amps at full demand. The sticker should say how many amps are available on the 12V output. Usually the 5V outputs could supply more power because that's what powered the CPU and all the logic circuits. It wasn't till the newest 24-pin ATX power supplies that the 12V outputs were able to deliver more power (all new high power CPUs and the PCIe bus run off the 12V rails).

Anyway, the power consumed will depend greatly on volume setting, the type of music being played, and whether you're using any mechanical parts (i.e. radio vs. CD player). Chances are, it will be fine unless you really like cranking it up while on the can. Besides, you got the PSU for free so if you fry it, who cares. :lol:

Personally, I prefer peace and quiet when I'm on the can.

I'm more curious to know how an AT power supply HAS a switch on the back, where an ATX doesn't. I haven't ever seen an ATX power supply without a switch.

Sorry.. I meant it has a switch wired up (the one that normally goes to the front of the case). No switch on the back.