Basic cleaning: interior or exterior first, which do you do?

THe_DeTAiL3R

Do you clean the interior or the exterior first? (when you do a FULL clean)  

1. 1. Do you clean the interior or the exterior first? (when you do a FULL clean)

As the poll states, what do you do first? I like to wash the car before cleaning the inside... cause I hate to clean a dirty car (if that makes sense). WIth the outside of the windows clean I find it easier to clean the inside. In the winter, the car can warm up on the inside while you wash the outside.

Just wondering, cause lots of people say they like to do it the other way around.

mos def wash and clean the exterior first before doing anything on the interior.

I am with you 100% on the "cleaning a dirty car"

I usually wash and dry, tire shine, wax, then interior

I do the interior first, especially if I am going to shampoo the carpets. That way, they can dry while I tackle the outside of the car.

Dry with the doors closed? unless you have the A/C on I don't see how...

interior..... idk y... i guess i lik her to feel clean b4 she looks it....

typical car wash @ andreas:

1) vaccuum inside of car including trunk

2) clean dash and everything else

3) clean engine bay

4) clean rims

5) clean car

6) dry car

7) quick detail exterior

8) meguirs high gloss tires...

I hate cleaning the interior for some reason. I cant stand to drive in a dirty car so I gotta wash the outside first, then it makes me think the car is clean and I dont have to do anymore! :lol:

But noramlly if Im gonna spend a whole day cleanin my car I would

1) clean the exterior

2) buff the wheels using the powerball

3) clean the interior

4) clean the trunk

5) clean the engine compartment

6) pray to God it doesnt rain for atleast a week.

I start w/ the exterior, then clean the interior. After the interior, I usually clean underhood a bit(need to do that now, just washed/waxed/detailed the '93, but didn't touch the engine bay).

i usually start with the outside first. mostly cause of the windows, when i clean the insides of the windows it helps to have a clean outside window....

my method of madness

-clean wheels/tires

-wash

-dry

-dress tires

-windows outside

-dress trim(depends on how REALLY faded it gets)

-go inside

-trunk

-engine bay(last on the list)

speaking of a full clean, im sooo gonna do that tomorrow!!!!

Well I'll give my rundown:

FIRST: Assuming floor mats are dirty, remove from car and powerwash clean. Use ice scraper to scrape excess water off, toss outside to dry in sun.

-wash engine (before washing, cause dirt goes all over the car...)

-spray front of car (bugs), and tires/wheel wells with tire cleaner, scrub tires w/ tire brush

-rinse and wash car

-dry car. Wipe door/trunk jambs with old chamois to remove regular dirt. (if really dirty then more work required).

car is now clean on outside... now I do the interior so tires can dry (and rest of car if I'm going to wax it)

interior

-windows

-vacuum, including trunk (I do this before wiping interior pieces, cause I hate working with sand etc in car).

-wipe panels, seats

-wipe door jambs with degreaser if greasy (from undercoating)

-shampoo carpet etc. if nessesary

-final vac if nessesary

-place floor mats back in car (or in trunk if it's going on the lot for sale)

Car is now almost 100% dry:

-apply dire dressing

-use polish or glaze on dull mirrors, or small scuffs (used cars)

-buff scrathes (if I have time, which is never.. lol)

If car is to be waxed:

-use compressed air to blow ALL water from mirrors, mouldings, gas cap area, etc. I just got a 35ft hose which I find is the perfect size (had a 20 before.. too small).

-wax car

-use glass cleaner on windows to remove dust from wax... OR: quick detailer over car including windows to remove dust from waxing.

I'm sure I might have forgotten some stuff I do, it really depends on the car (new/used/bodyshop/customer), if it just needs to be washed, waxed, put in the showroom.... etc.

I do the interior first, especially if I am going to shampoo the carpets. That way, they can dry while I tackle the outside of the car.

Dry with the doors closed? unless you have the A/C on I don't see how...

I've got access to a heavy duty air blower, so I stick that in the car while I wash. Once it is dry, I'll crack a window to increase air flow while I wax away. :)

I always clean my interior first for a few reasons.

1. My shop vac always seems to blow out some dust, and it always finds its way onto my car :lol:

2. I have a gravel driveway, and I always manage to get the car dirty with the wet gravel shit on my shoes

Most of the time I clean the exterior first because I work all day and only have a little bit of daylight left before it gets dark. After it gets dark, I can still clean the interior while the car is parked in the garage. Sometimes I'll even put it off till 10, 11pm.

I don't have to clean the interior that often though. I don't allow food or drink into the car, and I never leave paper, trash, or any foreign object in it overnight. I usually just have to vacuum/dust off the interior about twice a year in my car. I do the vert (wife's car) a little more often since it has leather seats that need Lexol regularly.

I never clean my interior...last time it was actually gone over closely was when I first got the car lol....then I dust off the dash once after winter since the defrost blows a shit load of dust over winter....I like to do the exterior first though so when you lean against the rocker panel or something your pants/legs don't get dirty

let me rephrase what I said

I always vacuum first because the dust from the shop vac loves to stick to a freshly washed car.

so it's..

-vacuum

-wash outside

-tire shine

-wax

-inside

-windows