Will these wheels fit? EDIT: What tires fit? Read page 3!

5speedz34

I think it probably would, but that's a pretty difficult size to find.

Also, how wide are the wheels? 255/40's are designed for a minimum 8.5" wide rim.

I've seen them squeezed onto an 8" rim and it looks great, but manufacturers don't recommend it.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• GnatGoSplat

• AWeb80

• turby

I think it probably would, but that's a pretty difficult size to find.

Also, how wide are the wheels? 255/40's are designed for a minimum 8.5" wide rim.

I've seen them squeezed onto an 8" rim and it looks great, but manufacturers don't recommend it.

The wheel is 18x8. These are the tires I'm looking at come in 255/40/18.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2

If I don't get 255/40, 245/40 won't rub for sure right?

Is there any links you can give me to figure out more about this stuff? I've been reading alot on tirerack which has taught me alot, but for someone like me who works at a tire place(walmart) I should know more about this stuff.

Also, where did you find that manufactures don't recommend 255/40's for an 8" rim?

It just seems like alot of this stuff is like, "ohh well try it see if it works"

Yeah, 245/40 won't rub for sure. They are slightly smaller width and smaller diameter than 255/40.

Tirerack is pretty much the best place for info, I think.

The Specs tell you what the recommended wheel widths would be for a given tire. For example, the tires you linked to:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2&tirePageLocQty=

Scroll down to 255/40 YR18 and you will see the spec "Rim Width Range" is 8.5"-10".

Yeah, there is a lot of "try it and see" when it comes to wheels, especially on the first gen W's because of our funky ass front caliper. Most cars have the caliper and rotor inset more so caliper clearance isn't as much of an issue as it is for us. To make things worse, our front rotors are unusually small, which places the caliper closer to the center which also reduces clearance.

Yeah, tires can be the same way. Even 2 tires of the exact same size spec can vary in actual size depending on brand and model. Different brands/models of tires even have variations in shoulder design that can affect whether they rub or not. Some have more rounded shoulders, some have more square shoulders. It's not an exact science, unfortunately.

Yeah, 245/40 won't rub for sure. They are slightly smaller width and smaller diameter than 255/40.

Tirerack is pretty much the best place for info, I think.

The Specs tell you what the recommended wheel widths would be for a given tire. For example, the tires you linked to:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2&tirePageLocQty=

Scroll down to 255/40 YR18 and you will see the spec "Rim Width Range" is 8.5"-10".

Yeah, there is a lot of "try it and see" when it comes to wheels, especially on the first gen W's because of our funky ass front caliper. Most cars have the caliper and rotor inset more so caliper clearance isn't as much of an issue as it is for us. To make things worse, our front rotors are unusually small, which places the caliper closer to the center which also reduces clearance.

Yeah, tires can be the same way. Even 2 tires of the exact same size spec can vary in actual size depending on brand and model. Different brands/models of tires even have variations in shoulder design that can affect whether they rub or not. Some have more rounded shoulders, some have more square shoulders. It's not an exact science, unfortunately.

Thanks alot Shawn! I didn't even bother to check that out!!!

Umm do you think I would have trouble with getting 255's to mount? I mean in all honesty, would I see alot of difference in handling, grip, etc. From a 245-255 series tire?

Edit: Good explanation of rim width:

Additionally, some vehicle manufacturers and tire companies have permitted rim widths that are not within the tire's original approved rim width range. For example: BMW has combined 235/40R17 sized tires on 17x7.5" rims (which are 0.5" less than the narrowest 8.0" wide rim listed for the size) on certain M3 models; and Chevrolet has combined P255/50R16 sized tires on optional 16x9.5" rims (which are 0.5" wider than the 9.0" wide rim now listed for the size) on certain Corvette models. While these applications have received the approval of the vehicle and tire manufacturers, staying within the approved rim width range helps assure that the tire's internal stresses are within its design parameters.

No, 255's should mount just fine. Although not manufacturer approved, Jaguar on one of their cars (I forget which, XJR or something like that) approved 255/40R18 on an 18x8 wheel as factory equipment. For that reason, I think you could use that size without any problems.

I don't really think you're going to see that much difference in handling from that 10mm additional width.