Will these wheels fit? EDIT: What tires fit? Read page 3!

5speedz34

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• GnatGoSplat

• AWeb80

• turby

All I can say is ... good luck trying to get a nut on those lugs.

Lugs are nuts!? You mean studs?

35 offset FTW.

So 35 with or without a spacer is what I want?

No spacer on 35's.

Didn't you say you would run a 5 mm spacer to make it an even 40 on the lumina?

No, a 5mm spacer on 45 offset would make it 40, but a 5mm spacer on 35's would make it 30.

The smaller the offset, the more they stick out.

If they don't rub, they clear. :wink:

Well, you can always check cardomain or someplace like that and see if anyone has the same wheels on a first gen W. That would take awhile though.

Well, what makes one wheel rub and another not rub?

OK rather than starting a new Thread I'll change this one!!!!

What tires size should I get?

I'm thinking 245/45/18 or 245/50/18? The 245/45/18 will have my speedo being off the least amount. I just want to know what isn't going to rub? What about a 255 width tire?

THANKS!

get teh 245/45's.

Any reason?

Edit:

A 255/45/18 is only a difference of 1.8 mph while a 245/45/18 is dead on.

Would I notice much difference between 245 and 255 in grip handling etc.?

ok, in all honesty....i think you'll have rubbing issues w/ them

ya, the extra grip would be good.....but as far as turns to the lock...i think they will rub

The 255s? I'm sorry you just have many open end responses and I'm not sure if you're talking about the tires and rims, rims or tires. Just be more specific.

Matt(97LoudCut) is running 255/40/17s on his car with no rubbing.

LoudCut's 255's probably don't rub because the diameter is so much smaller than stock.

I have 245/45R18, and they rub on full lock with a 37mm offset. 255/45R18 is not only wider, but also a larger diameter than stock. I'm certain it'd rub pretty badly on a 35mm offset.

I would go 245/40R18. 255/40R18 if you can find them, but that size is a lot more rare. Yeah, they are smaller diameter than stock, but IMO, my 245/45's look a little fat. The square wheel wells on the Lumina are also a little smaller than that of my Cutlass and all the Luminas I've seen with 245/40R18's look real good.

LoudCut's 255's probably don't rub because the diameter is so much smaller than stock.

I have 245/45R18, and they rub on full lock with a 37mm offset. 255/45R18 is not only wider, but also a larger diameter than stock. I'm certain it'd rub pretty badly on a 35mm offset.

I would go 245/40R18. 255/40R18 if you can find them, but that size is a lot more rare. Yeah, they are smaller diameter than stock, but IMO, my 245/45's look a little fat. The square wheel wells on the Lumina are also a little smaller than that of my Cutlass and all the Luminas I've seen with 245/40R18's look real good.

How are his tires smaller than stock, since he has 17's?

Can you explain this to me a little bit better none of this is making sense to me.

LIke How does 245 not fit but 255 will? I'm not getting it.

FYI: I run 255/45/17 and there is no rub

I went to the speedo calculator site to calculate how much my speedo is off and it said like 2% (which is basically nothing)

and btw, tire width has nothing to do with your speedo.

I would go with the 18 inch rims, a lower profile tire (40) and a 255 width. Is it going to rub? I don't know.

Can you explain this to me a little bit better none of this is making sense to me.

Well, that was assuming you were correct about his tire size being 255/40R17.

The sidewall number is a percentage of the width. So overall diameter of the tire would have been (255*0.40*2)/25.4+17=25" diameter.

225/60R16's are 26.6" diameter.

If you don't like math, it's easier to use the Tire Calculator.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Although he just said his tires are really 255/45R17, so they're 26" diameter which is only 0.6" shorter than stock.

BUT when you look at the space in a wheel well, even fractions of an inch means the difference between lots of rubbing or no rubbing at all.

And the reason some 245's can rub and some 255's don't, is because of the diameter of the tire. You increase the width, the tire will come closer to the inside of the wheel well when you turn. If you increase the diameter, the tire will also come closer to the inside of the wheel well when you turn. Also, the more the wheel sticks out, the wider the tire you can have before it will contact the inside of the wheel well on a turn. That's why Psychomatt's giant tires don't rub. He's using some really large spacers and his wheels stick out quite a bit.

Well, that was assuming you were correct about his tire size being 255/40R17.

The sidewall number is a percentage of the width. So overall diameter of the tire would have been (255*0.40*2)/25.4+17=25" diameter.

225/60R16's are 26.6" diameter.

If you don't like math, it's easier to use the Tire Calculator.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Although he just said his tires are really 255/45R17, so they're 26" diameter which is only 0.6" shorter than stock.

BUT when you look at the space in a wheel well, even fractions of an inch means the difference between lots of rubbing or no rubbing at all.

And the reason some 245's can rub and some 255's don't, is because of the diameter of the tire. You increase the width, the tire will come closer to the inside of the wheel well when you turn. If you increase the diameter, the tire will also come closer to the inside of the wheel well when you turn. Also, the more the wheel sticks out, the wider the tire you can have before it will contact the inside of the wheel well on a turn. That's why Psychomatt's giant tires don't rub. He's using some really large spacers and his wheels stick out quite a bit.

Thanks for explaining that.

So you think 255/40/18 will fit without rubbing?