Spark plug blew out of head?!?!

RedZMonte

it sucked, i was driving and head a POP! and then a loud exhaust sound. Looked on the back of the motor and plug is attached to the wire. the plug backed itself out and blew out. I put a new plug in its place and luckally the threads in the head didn't get FUked up. I noticed the plug also had the end smashed up all the way so there was no gap. what would cuase the gap to close that much?

Red

thats kind of what i was thinking.. I am going to pull the spark plugs this week, recheck the gap and reinstall the plugs.. What should the stock gap be?

Shane

Guest Anonymous

Stock is .045. I have mine at .035. I don't have Jeff's chip yet but he recommends closing the gap with the chip. He says the boost can actually blow the spark out. Try .040 and see how that works.

With mine at .035 I have a little better idle and better throttle response. My x-over is way beyond cracked so it would probably help more if it wasn't.

mine where also VERY VERY black.. I suspect my X-over leaking and causeing the O2 to read the extra air telling the computer its going lean and dumping allot more gas then what it needs.

Shane

Guest TurboSedan

my brother found a GLH-T on ebay last week (in Boulder) and when we got the car to Laramie he went to check the spark plugs and one was frozen to the head and broke off. it broke in a way so that the spark plug itself was hollow, all that remained was the threading and the grounding tip on the plug. CRAP! we had to hammer in a screw extractor to get the rest of the plug out, and then re-tap the head for a Heli-Coil kit, which turned out to work great and was easy to use. well.....maybe not so easy on the backside of a 3.1, but.....thankfully the threads didn't get stripped out in your case. :)

joshua