License plate project

5speedz34

I want to clearcoat my license plate. One for looks and two to protect it. I need some advice though, since I haven't painted in a couple of years.

The plan is to do a couple coats of basic rattle can clearcoat. What kind should I get? Something with a rust inhibitor? Also do I need to sand between coats? I just want it to look good. I don't want to get it done to find out I ruined a good plate.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5speedz34

• J

• ToroToro

• 1990lumina

I don't know what paint you should get, but I know what paint you shouldn't.

Do NOT use the Wal-mart ColorPlace cheap clear. It actually seems to go on the smoothest and looks really good, but it's not resistant to UV and will start chalking after a couple years.

You do not need to sand between coats as long as you recoat within I think about 3hrs. In fact, the paint will be a little tacky and sanding would probably ruin the clear.

Most rattle-can enamels must be recoated within 3hrs or after 1-week. Anything between that, and the paint will lift and crinkle (I speak from experience). If for any reason within 3hrs you don't think it looks good, the paint can be removed with lacquer thinner.

Yep. When I painted my spoiler I put on about 3 coats of clear from a can. I don't think I waited that long, but I waited until it was tacky. First coat don't spray too much, otherwise the additional coats are more likely to run. Hard to say if wetsanding will be nessesary on a licence plate.

From what I hear, the Rustoleum line-up is a lot more resistant to stuff than most anything else.

Yup. One coat of Rustoleom is tougher than 4 coats of automotive clear. It takes a long time to cure ( a day or two ), but I cant think of a better thing to use on a license plate. The Professional series is even better. I used it on the '94 rims, and even after being banged with sockets there are no chips at all. It also goes on easier/smoother than auto lacquer.

From what I hear, the Rustoleum line-up is a lot more resistant to stuff than most anything else.

Yup. One coat of Rustoleom is tougher than 4 coats of automotive clear. It takes a long time to cure ( a day or two ), but I cant think of a better thing to use on a license plate. The Professional series is even better. I used it on the '94 rims, and even after being banged with sockets there are no chips at all. It also goes on easier/smoother than auto lacquer.

So Professional Series Rustoleom? I'll check it out at work tommorow.

• 2 weeks later...

Bump.

Rustoleum doesn't make a Professional Clear Coat.

The guy at Home Depot that I asked gave me this shit look, and asked how I plan on getting the sticker to stick. Well, I guess I'll find out tommorow.

Hmm, I would have thought they did. Just use the regular Rustoleom then. Whats the problem with the sticker? It'll stick to paint.

Yeah, I don't know the guy just had a shit grin on his face like he was fucking Sherman Williams himself.

The registration sticker!

On your plate? Weird..

No, that windshield thing is weird. I thought everyone stuck them on the bottom-right corner of their plate. Hell, MI plates even have an indentation so you can't fuck it up.