Replacing Fuel Injectors

grandprix104

DIY or Pay the Mechanic?  

1. 1. DIY or Pay the Mechanic?

• DIY
    • PAY MECHANIC

How hard would it be? Is it worth paying the mechanic and do you need any special tools? What all does it involve? and finally are thier any performance mods i can do while im in there?

Pretty easy.

I don't know about the 3100, but on the 2.8/3.1/3.4 you just pull off the plenum, unplug the injectors from their harness, unbolt the fuel rail, pull it out of the lower intake manifold, then pop off a metal clip off the injector. Removing the metal clip allows the injector to pull straight out. Then lube the top injector O-ring, push in the new injector, snap on the metal clip to lock the injector in place, lube the O-rings on all the injectors, and push them into their proper bores in the lower intake. Then reassemble.

There's many steps to removing the plenum, but it's not that bad on the 2.8/3.1 so probably not that bad on the 3100 either. It's a little more painful on the 3.4 DOHC.

damn the auto shop quoted me as saying it should be a few hundred bucks :shock: So i thought it would be hard.

Excuse my ignorance - ive never worked on an engine much before but at the point im down to where the fuel ingectors are will it be much hassle for me to get to the head gaskets (Or are they in a completely different place?) My head gaskets are supposedly leaking oil all over the engine.

are there any special things such as torque on bolts or anything i should be aware of? - I dont have a torque wrench.

Also what would be the best brand/type for replacement injectors? Im trying to give my car any extra power/performance i can.

Head gaskets would be several more steps, but I don't understand how oil could be coming out of head gaskets. I'm pretty sure the 3100 doesn't have pressurized oil galleys in the head gaskets. If you mean valve cover gaskets, then those would be easy to replace while you have the plenum out.

torque wrench is definitely recommended. Harbor Freight has them for $20 so if you're looking to save money, you can get one there if you have a local store.

I can't help you with performance-oriented injectors. I just went with an OEM replacement on mine.

Do it your self man. Very simple. Like has been said, take top intake off, then release fuel pressure with Shrader (sp?) valve. Take fuel rails off, and youre there. Taking the lower intake off with the injectors in it, then change them with the manifold out may be easier. Replace all gaskets you take off. Have fun

Oh, I dont think going with bigger injectors will help you that much. A stock 3100 does not push the stock injectors to their max. So, bigger injectors really want do anything, if the a motor doesnt need the extra fuel. If you had major intake mods, head work and exhaust and other stuff, I would say yes, bigger injectors. You would just be paying more for something you arent gonna be using the full potential of

Robby

I have heard anywhere from $20-$50 a piece for stock replacements. $50 is pretty high. Find some in the $30 price range and you should be good

Robby

Get two kinds of Torque wrench which is a rachet type (clicker).

1.) 120 - 960 in. Lbs which is required for lower than 10 ft. Lbs torque.

2.) 10 - 150 ft. Lbs for higher torque requirements.

1 in. Lb = 12 ft. Lb

If you do it yourself, you will be ahead of the game. You will now have the specialty tools and knowledge.

well this is the pricing for injectors at the local auto parts stores:

NAPA: $91 a piece

Parts Plus: $72 a piece

JC Whitney is $55 for replacement and $44 for performace (wtf?)

so mauch for 30 bucks a piece :(

the local stores like to bend you over the counter for everything. What is the exact parts number? id like to go look on ebay or elswhere online. Also, what is the scoop whith remanufactured injectors?? any good or bad idea?

I never buy the cheapest car parts I can find. I paid 86 bucks for one. The cheapest ones usually have a low warranty period or no warranty at all. :) :)