Why the hell is my Gas Pedal SO STIFF?

gmrulz4u

I've had a few people that drove my 89 Supreme tell me this, and now I'm starting to notice it a lot more. It gets worse the harder you depress the gas!

Anyone know why?

You car could be one of those with fuel pressure restriction or blocked cat.

When you press the gas pedal and it is harder to press then it could be that the throttle is already at WOT and the throttle body accelerator cam won't move anymore.

Do this first, Engine Off, open the hood and locate your throttle body accelerator cam (the thing that pivots when the gas pedal is pushed down). Check the cable on the throttle body accelerator cam which goes to the gas pedal and make sure the cable is parallel and in line with the rotation of the throttle body accelerator cam.

Try turning (pivot) that throttle body accelerator cam and see if it is easy to turn and note where it stops (WOT). Release the throttle body accelerator cam and have someone press the gas pedal while you watch the throttle body accelerator cam and see if it stops the same way (WOT).

If you don't find any restriction in the cable nor the throttle body accelerator cam, then more likely you have a fuel pressure restriction or cat partially restricted problem.

If you have not replaced your fuel filter for a long time then replace it. Some fuel lines has another fuel filter after the main fuel filter which usually located near the engine.

Constant Lean or Rich engine would certainly and slowly kill your cat. A partially clogged cat would let the exhaust past the cat with higher RPM and so you have to put the gas pedal always down. Sooner or later when the cat is totally plugged up, your engine would run and a die few seconds later due to severe back pressure.

there is nothing wrong. i loved how firm the gas pedal was on my 91 and 89. my 96 now the WAYYY opposite. the gas fedal feels like im pushing down on air, theres almost no resistance. i hate it. its the lightest gas pedal ive had yet

me personyl i would pefere the stiff peddle just cus i like to drive in timbs n on da light peddlse it just really sucks pushin da gas down more then i want to n wut not

There are 2 reasons your pedal could be stiff.

1. The throttle return spring has a lot of tension.

2. It's binding up.

If #1 is the case, there's not much you can do about it, but I personally think a stiffer pedal is better than a loose one. If this is the case, the pedal should actually move smoothly and pop back into position very quickly.

If #2 is the case, you can fix it with motor oil. Just lube every moving part of the throttle. I had to do this on Penny's '88 and it fixed it completely. The pedal was very stiff, but did not have a smooth, linear feeling movement.

on my 92, the pedal is pretty firm, but nothing major. I Like it that way, cuz it easier to control. Especially since I got a new TPS, if I barely touch the gas, the car takes off. Now, my sisters, 96 has really really soft pedal. You can go over a bump and the pedal is so soft that your foot will accidently move the pedal over the bump. I hate hers, I would rather have the pedal sorta push back

Robby

Mine is quite loose too on my 96. On the old Lumina 91, it was nice.

My mom actually made mention of it to me the other day. To me, its fine, but then driving any other vehilce, there is more resistance

jon