radio interference w/ engine running

rudefyet

I'm wondering what would cause this, and what to look for

Whenever the engine is running my radio reception sucks donkey dick...like something is interferring w/ the antenna

When the engine is off, the radio is perfectly clear, but with it on theres a ton of static that seems to match the engine rpms

any advice would be appreciated

You don't have power antenna do you? Not that it should really matter though.

BTW, where is your antenna located at on your truck?

And, IIRC, you have an amp in your truck, right?

didn't do that yet...that might just be it

cause I just ran a new ground to the cd player to no avail.

I even unplugged my amp from the battery, still didn't help

And now I noticed it disappears if I unplug the antenna from the back of the stereo or in the engine bay

:willynilly:

• 3 weeks later...

On the back of the radio, check the antenna line going in. For some reason mine keeps coming undone and its horrible. But Id check that antenna line, or check the antenna ground.

Check your antenna. If it ain't that then, I think its your spark plug wires. The reason car manufacturers don't use copper spark plug wires anymore is do to this. People don't want radio interferrence when the car is running. When you upgrade your system, it can be more sensitive to this pulsation from the wires even with newer technology. I would do an upgrade to the wires. They could be old and the insulation might not reduce the electrical static that creates this noise.

Todays wires you can't usually get a reading of condinuity on a multimeter. The only reason electrical pulses get through the wires is do to the high voltage.

• 3 weeks later...

It's just ground noise, check the ground wire in the headunit harness and the ground wire for the amp, chances are one of them is touching bare metal. Other than that, you could try putting little rubber o-rings between the amp and whatever its bolted to.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Mach 5 was right, after tuning up my ignition system today (new plug wires, cap and rotor) there's no more static. In fact I can now pick up stations that I couldn't pick up before. Woohoo!