New Wheels? **NEED OFFSET AND BACKSPACE MATH**

z34_nut

So Gnat told me that Mustang wheels fit... I started looking into it, and thinking to myself, "Wow, this opens the door to a whole new aspect"

So I have been doing some browsing via Ebay, and I noticed a really clean looking wheel.

oe-03-m.jpg

yeah, its an 03,04 cobra wheel, but with a gloss black center cap, it would go with my new theme nicely I think...

26mm offset BTW.

So what do you guys think? Any other nice wheels you guys could suggest?

Hrm...they are 8"... lemmy see if I can locate some in 7"...

Nope, they are all 8-10.5...

So with an 8 inch wheel...how much of an offset do I need?

W3rd, we need a wheel genious in here...

*new topic title*

EDIT: Details on the 17x8" wheels... the 17x9" are 26mm...

5-lug (5X4½). All four rims are 17" x 8", +12mm offset (5.06 backspace)

I want to get Corba R wheels. You Bastard!! :mrgreen:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php/topic,46609.msg558417.html#msg558417

This is what Shaun told me about the 17X8 Cobra R wheels I wanted. For My Monte.

If what you have now is 6.5" wide and the offset is +35mm like my factory 5-stars, then they will stick out about 1.68" more than what you have now.

That's about 1-11/16".

So is a 12mm offset enough? In the pictures the offset seems to be huge.

I really would like some info before tonight. I want to buy these as soon as possible.

Kyle.....i think a 12mm will make them stick out ALOT.....

my 077's were a ~42mm offset and they were set in the wheel well ( you know that)

my xlaces are 25mm offset and they set farther out in the wheel well and fill it better....

so a 12mm might work, but, it might look too mexicanish......

I think it might be ok though, just your fenders might get hit by the tires....i dunno.

Think about this: 8" is the width of an x-lace wheel... not so worried about that anymore...

now backspacing and offset go hand and hand here, I dunno.. I'm buying them right now accually, so we'll see when they ship here.

all it will come down to is how far they are gonna sit out and how much rub if any you get on the front. just watch out for bumps you might get some nasty rubs that way as well

I hope I'm not too late, but DO NOT get 12mm offset!!!

Offset is the distance in millimeters between the center of the wheel (width-wise) in relation to the face of the hub mounting surface.

http://www.rbcbearings.com/rodends/hf.htm

Basically, the higher the offset, the more tucked in they will be. The lower the offset, the more they stick out.

26mm offset isn't too bad, but will stick out a lot more than factory wheels. If they are 8" wide, then they will be 1mm more tucked than crosslace which are 25mm. So if you think the x-laces stick out the right amount on a Lumina, then these wheels will be almost identical.

Also, the Mustang bolt pattern and center bore are okay, but with ALL wheels you need to check front caliper clearance. Unfortunately there's no spec for caliper clearance, that's gonna be one of those things you have to try first.

Like I said, I will be the muel for the w-body community....

Wheels will be here some time this week. Worst thing that happens, they don't fit, I sell them...

• 8 years later...

The excitement is killing ... cant wait to see how they fit.. especially having just ordered a set of 18x8.5 backspacing 6.05 offset +33 concave round cake wheels of deliciousness in stunning matte blue. :dance:

The excitement is killing ... cant wait to see how they fit.. especially having just ordered a set of 18x8.5 backspacing 6.05 offset +33 concave round cake wheels of deliciousness in stunning matte blue. :dance:

DUDE!! This thread is from 8 years ago. I don't think we'll ever see how the wheels looked on the car.