WHY!

1988-5speedse

Because the engine is sideways.

And the starter is at the bottom.

And it weighs a lot.

And the oil filter is in the way.

And that annoying AC compressor bracket is in the way.

Did I get one right?

Because the engine is sideways.

And the starter is at the bottom.

And it weighs a lot.

And the oil filter is in the way.

And that annoying AC compressor bracket is in the way.

Did I get one right?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah changed my starter about 2 years ago, and it was a pain, sitting on my back in the driveway. From what I remember, though, it wasnt as hard as spark plugs are to change

Robby

Guest TurboSedan

i changed mine out a few months ago and it wasn't too hard. i had to fish the starter in and out of the engine bay up thru the top though...i thought that was easier. that way the AC lines aren't in the way. probably only took 1-2 hours by myself and it was the first (and only) time i had ever done one.

joshua

Guest Anonymous

I tried for two days to get the starter out of my TGP. I was ready to give up and I push on one of the A/C lines for something and the starter fell out on my chest. Not fun.

You wouldn't believe how well a starter will bounce across blacktop. :lol:

It'll be easier next time though cause all the A/C lines and crap are coming out Thursday.

It'll be easier next time though cause all the A/C lines and crap are coming out Thursday.

:shock: No A/C, you're crazy!!! A/C is my best friend. Thank goodness for A/C. :worship:

I am just wondering when you remove the a/c lines.

Do you intend not to have a/c anymore because reconnecting back the a/c lines requires that you have to evacuate the a/c lines with a vacuum pump for 45 minutes or so and then re-charge it again.

If you don't evacuate the the a/c lines, moisture will turn into an acid and eats away all the critical components of the a/c.

BTW, you can change your R12 to R134a but you must evacuate the entire R12 first before you can re-charge it with R134a.

R134a is not that cold compared to R12 but R12 is very expensive and requires an EPA license to get one. Getting the EPA license is not that hard though and it is taken by honesty basis online or offline.

Wow...you mean the 3.4 actually has ONE edge on the others with respect to parts replacement? Holy crap! :lol:

When I changed my starter, it was relatively easy. I mean, I didn't mind doing it and I piss and moan A LOT about the kind of stuff that is required to replace ANY major part on an LQ1. Hell, I didn't even NEED to replace my starter and I'm still O.K. wit dat shiznit.

Never thought I'd say this to anyone aside from hearing from everyone else...

"Sucks to be you!" 8)

Wow.. you mean something is actually easy to change on the DOHC? I know I'm going to hell for sure after changing the alternator last weekend, and especially this week from the damn intake gaskets :lol:

I never knew I could get so pissed off over things like that!

I can see coil packs coming off the 3.4 if taking it out from the top...but heck, pulling the starter out from the bottom only required a bit of interesting contorsions to getting the cables and bolts removed. After that, some twists and turns, and maybe a 1/4 inch push of the air conditioner line and it's out...same thing to get one back in... but yeah, I think back and still feel it was the easiest thing I've ever had to do in that God forsaken engine bay.

i found out on the 2.8 you can remove the alternator and replace the spark plugs without rotating the engine. the haynes manuals don't work real well for the 1988 cutlass supreme sl so i bought a gm chassis service maunal for my car. i had to replace the alternator though and thats how i found a new way to replace the spark plugs to do a tune up. just now the alternator went out again :( i hope my tip helps some one out cause it worked for me :D i'm going to replace both the alternator and the regulator this weekend i didn't know that i was suppose to replace the regulator to :? talk about a pain to get to the starter all you have to do is take it apart to get it out and drop the new one in.