Need a set of 6x9's

slick

Previous owner had a set of cheap ass 2-way Sony's installed, and they are on there way out. So, I want to hear what you guys say. I don't plan on spending a lot of money on them, so I'm looking for something that most of you have probably never heard of before(calling Garret Powered :lol:).

I think that I have a set of MTX 2 ways around somewhere too. I will have to double check that they work well, and that i have both of them. I could let them go for very cheap

Th Infinity's are 100w RMS and like 300w peak, the panasonics are I believe 100w RMS and 240w peak. $50+shipping for the panasonics? and I duno what prie for the Infinity's since theyve been used for a while.

Previous owner had a set of cheap ass 2-way Sony's installed, and they are on there way out. So, I want to hear what you guys say. I don't plan on spending a lot of money on them, so I'm looking for something that most of you have probably never heard of before(calling Garret Powered :lol:).

are you sure tha sonys are bad, or they just installed bad?

Hmm... I really dont need anything that can handle that much power since I am only running them off of the HU. The HU puts out 20w RMS, and your's handle 100w rms. Thats means the speakers are doing only 20% of what they are capable and definately won't sound near as good as a set of lesser speakers.

I'll let you know though.

are you sure tha sonys are bad, or they just installed bad?

I can pull the surround up and the whole cone structure comes off of the frame. I'm sure I could reglue them down, but I really have a dislike for Sony.

I was actually just at parts express's website and seen a set of 6x9 plats that have tweeters in them. They are selling right now for like $.25 cents each, and can handle 20rms. So, I actually thought about those. I would obviously have to put a crossover in line, but no biggie.

Hmm... I really dont need anything that can handle that much power since I am only running them off of the HU. The HU puts out 20w RMS, and your's handle 100w rms. Thats means the speakers are doing only 20% of what they are capable and definately won't sound near as good as a set of lesser speakers.

I'll let you know though.

Ive ran the Infinity's off the HU for a long time. They sounded great, but they just didnt have very much bass to them. Since there where only for rear fill, I didnt need an amp or anything.

I was actually just at parts express's website and seen a set of 6x9 plats that have tweeters in them. They are selling right now for like $.25 cents each, and can handle 20rms. So, I actually thought about those. I would obviously have to put a crossover in line, but no biggie.

dude, I was trying to get something like that accomplished, but when I went to solder the wires on the tweeters the post melted right off the tweeter then I hooked the other one up inside on my computer stereo and it absolutely sounded beautiful. :twisted: it was a VIFA 30,000 hz silk dome from parts express. I am getting morels next they only hit 25k but thats better than most. man the vifa put out some sound, but its a 6 ohm so I dont know how the amp I dont have no more will handle it. :lol:

I was actually checking out the Tang Band stuff myself. I can pick up 2 of those for about $35-40 shipped, and make myself a braket/enclosure to fit onto my 6x9 location.

One question, why do you need 6x9's? I thought you where like bass head kinda guy, like SPL wise. Is this like a project or something? Just wondering

Eh... the front speakers really aren't performing very well(bad bad bad location), and the wiring is good. So, I figure why not.

Plus, I really need something to do to occupy my time during the summer.

Why not put a component set up front? Its going to be more expensive than 6x9, but well worth the effort IMO.

Yeah, I might do that. I have a set of 6.5" Alpines, a set of 4" JL's (both the alpines and the jl's are woofers), so I guess all I would really need is a set of tweeters.

My front doors are 6.5 speakers, so maybe I could put the Alpines there, mount a set of tweeters in the sail panel, and then modify the center console to make an enclosure that would house the JL's.

I dunno, just idea's i'm tossing up.

The Alpine 6.5" components are very nice for the price! Wish they made them in 5.25" !!

I dunno where you got the idea that higher RMS = % of how loud they are.. I don't think that's true. You gotta look into the sensitivity of the speaker. Anyways i had MTX in the rear of my old car... they sounded decent, were about the same loudness as the factory speakers were. I sold them to Q-ball.

I dunno where you got the idea that higher RMS = % of how loud they are.. I don't think that's true. You gotta look into the sensitivity of the speaker.

So, your telling me that if I have a speaker that can handle 100w RMS, that there will be no difference between throwing 20w rms and 90w rms at it? I think not. As you put more power towards a speaker(and assuming its not over the rated wattage it can handle), it will sound better, it will be clearer, and it will last longer. Remember, there are a few things that kill speakers: Distortion(caused by your music source as it is only capable of putting out a good signal up to a certain level), and underpowering a speaker(yep, do a search online, not enough power will kill a speaker as well).

And yes, sensitivity does come into play. The higher the sensitivity, the more it is able to reproduce sound with lower wattage(i'm really bad at describing this).

If you have 2 speakers that are both rated at the same sensitivity, they both should play just as loud at the given wattage, regardless of the power handling. Of course you'll get more sound by putting more power into the speaker, and I know underpowering speakers it what blows them.

What you said still does't make sense to me... unless the speaker is less sensitive it shouldn't matter.

The HU puts out 20w RMS, and your's handle 100w rms. Thats means the speakers are doing only 20% of what they are capable and definately won't sound near as good as a set of lesser speakers.

???

Meaning, your not playing the speaker to it's full capability.

that's true, but they'll still be the same volume. If you were offered at the SAME PRICE a pair of Infinitys that were 100RMS and a pair of Pioneer 50RMS, and they were the same sensitivity and your amp put out 20w.. it would only make sense to buy the better speaker...

Meaning, your not playing the speaker to it's full capability.

that's true, but they'll still be the same volume. If you were offered at the SAME PRICE a pair of Infinitys that were 100RMS and a pair of Pioneer 50RMS, and they were the same sensitivity and your amp put out 20w.. it would only make sense to buy the better speaker...

Oh definately, I agree I would buy the better of the two. But, I would rather play a pair of speakers to there full potential to get out of them what I possibly could rather than only playing them at a % of there total potential. It just seems like a waste to me.

Anyways, I ordered the 6x9 brackets with tweeters mounted in them from parts express today. Hopefully they should be here next week sometime.