Security Light Stays On

PeNZ

This just stared happening, the car starts and runs fine, but the security light stays on. Ive tried cleaning the key as well as the tumbler and the same thing happens. Should I try disconnecting the battery, or do I need a new $25 key?

Fix it soon before you get stuck somewhere. This has been happening on my old car (01 Malibu, my dad drives it now) and one day the security system locked up... had to get a new lock cylinder or something I cant remember... all I know was he couldn't get the car started and I had to go pick him up.

measure the resistance of the key pellet with a digital volt meter. in fact post your finding on here so we can tell you what you have, with the excepted value range!!!! a resistor chart does exist, afterall.

you can then make a circuit board with the proper resistors to match the keys pellets value from simple parts from radioshack. it may take from one to three resistors in series to make a bypass circuit

The feed line is a single two wire line that runs up into the column. IIRC, one purple and one white wire. they are often shielded in an orange sheath. polarity does not matter, but you could disconnect the wire from the column and solder the body harness side of the wires to your bypass

vats.likeabigdog.com :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

Lemme make that link bigger:

vats.likeabigdog.com

Definitely get a new key made before you assume anything else is wrong. If you wish to keep the VATS, you should still do the bypass described at the above link to determine if the reader in your lock cylinder is shot, or if the VATS module is on the way out.

You're looking at a huge expense to replace the lock cylinder, unless you're well versed in tearing the "saginaw" steering column apart...

Who cares about VATS? I doubt that first generation W-bodies are really high-risk cars as far as theft goes, and even if they were, if someone wanted the car bad enough, a little resistor in the key isn't going to stop them.