Z34, Options to replace steering rack...

lakefxgp96

I'm curious if there is a way to replace the steering rack on my Lumi without pulling the motor? I have a haynes manual that says to basically pull everything else (downpipe, crossover, drop the cradle etc.).

I guess, what is the easiest way and what is the better way?

If you are curious, after 2 different pumps, 3 return lines and 2 pressure lines, i bust a new leak every month. I beleive i have a stoppage in the rack. The rack is worthless otherwise because i have a torn inner tie rod boot and about 7 degrees of play in the column gear.

I will be replaceing the rack, both lines and the pump this time.

i woulden't think that you'd have to pull all that just to replace the rack. i've had mine almost out of the car before.

i think if you pulled the 2 big bolts that hold it on, then drop the back of the cradle down a little so you can get at the 11mm bolt that that holds the column to the rack and undo the outer tie rod ends it should slide right out provided that you remove the p/s lines from it as well

Guest TurboSedan

i was just reading through some old posts about PS rack R&R. sounds like one guy got it to slide right out the wheel well. from the looks of it i'd say it's definately possible. i'm going to be replacing mine very soon, but i have it easy...no drivetrain or steering column there to worry about. i can finally put my 34mm front sway bar in too.

When I last looked at it, I thought the rack could have easily been pulled out from the wheel well..

..I also have it easy.. No drivetrain to worry about.. But I have to pull mine.. I have the granny steer in mine, and I need the Euro/Z34 rack.. Or the TGP rack :mrgreen: