Paint and Sunvisors

n4dou

Hi Everybody:

I have a 1990 Olds Cutlass Supreme. It has the famous GM peeling paint disease. To repaint should I go all the way to bare metal and reprime or sand and paint?

Akso, has anyone recovered the sunvisors on an early W car. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have done a search, but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Thanks.

John

as far as painting...it would be a good idea to as far down as you can. if you just paint over it, it'll show where the paint had peeled and where it hasnt'. it'll look uneven

Painting is a complicated subject.

First let's start out with my GM's paint process failed, and why some of us are living with peeling paint. When you are painting an object you have to sand it, this opens up the "pores" (like your skin) in the object, with the pores open the paint has something to stick to.

When GM painted these cars they primed them, then baked the primer to save time in the paint process. This baking cured the primer, thus closing the pores in it as well. When they shot the color on, the pores were closed, and the new paint had nothing to stick to.

So in your case, as long as you scrape off ALL of the old paint leaving nothing but a primered car. Then scuff/sand the primer prior to painting, the paint should stick, and look OK. Obviously sanding down the primer to bare metal would be ideal, or you could media blast it, but are you trying to do a frame off restoration? or just trying to make the car look good?

This is all just my opinion though from what I have learned from friends in the paint business. You should probably ask around local paint shops to see what options are available.

You need to sand to bare metal, the problem is with the primer, i recommend getting rid of all of it.

I didnt get rid of all of it and found that there were still problems. Here is a pic.

IMG_0004.JPG

Sand with 36 grit down to metal

Body filler

Block sand with 80

repeat if nesesary

Then primer/sealer--- A high build 2k primer

Block it again (side note... EVERYTIME You block sand it use a guide coat)

Shoot your base - 2-3 coats

Shoot your clear -2-3 coats

Wetsand - start with 1000 work your way to 2000

Rubbing compound

Then polish

These are the basic steps, and you will need to read a good 6 hrs of literature to get the details involved with each step, as well as select the materials YOU want to use. There is give and take in everything $$ wise.

Sand with 36 grit down to metal

Body filler

Block sand with 80

repeat if nesesary

Then primer/sealer--- A high build 2k primer

Block it again (side note... EVERYTIME You block sand it use a guide coat)

Shoot your base - 2-3 coats

Shoot your clear -2-3 coats

Wetsand - start with 1000 work your way to 2000

Rubbing compound

Then polish

These are the basic steps, and you will need to read a good 6 hrs of literature to get the details involved with each step, as well as select the materials YOU want to use. There is give and take in everything $$ wise.

Where did you get said literature?

Thanks for all of the information. I am just trying to make the car look good. The peeling and chipping are all on the hood, top , and trunk. JS