Thinking about getting a HU!!!

brianhasadd

my neighbor works at Car Audio in ABC Warehouse/Mickey Shore, I don't know what kind of deal he could get or if they carry it, but I can ask

Thanks. I'd really appreciate it!!!

Well I just talked to a guy from Crutchfield and he said that it WILL fit. He said that the reason they say that it won't fit is because they don't have the correct mounting brackets. I would have to make those myself which is no problem. Sooo...does anybody have any connections with anybody as far as Car electronics?? I'd really like to find this TV/DVD player less than $1,000. And by the way, here's the one I'm going to get.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kD7AYjyWHcD/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&I=113DDX6019

Heh, that's the one I posted in that other thread. :wink:

Here's one less than $700 shipped. Save $300 over buying from Crotchfield.

I love Kenwood, that's what I have in my car and absolutely love it. One of the first MP3 players they made I think (it's at least 3-4 years old now)..

I also like how the new Pioneer ones look. I think this is the same deck Q-Ball has in his car it's pretty cool! :)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-i3hKL2WRjQK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=130DEHP580&search=Pioneer+VENDORID130&SearchDisplay=Pioneer

I'm curious as to how it would fit/look in your car though, hacking up the dash and all.... :(

Yes that would be the same! I only paid 229 Canadian too! Price was right :willynilly:

Heh, that's the one I posted in that other thread.

Here's one less than $700 shipped. Save $300 over buying from Crotchfield.

That's awesome!!! I'm really thinking about ordering it now!!!

If you ever go on road trips, I highly recommend getting one with navigation. I got my AVIC-D1 last night and it just blew me away! I wish I had it several years ago when I used to take road trips more often, it's amazing! You can search for "Fast Food Restaurants" for example, and it will let you choose from all the nearby fast food restaurants. You pick one, and it'll make a route for you and give you turn-by-turn directions how to get there. If you're worried about getting low on gas, you can search it for the nearest gas station! I remember we were always concerned about where we could stop to eat, where we should stop for gas, and where all the motels were. You can also search for a business or place by phone # and address. You can set it to pick the shortest route or the fastest route, you can even set it to avoid toll roads. This thing is a traveller's dream come true. Only thing that might bother some people is it can't play DVD video, but then I've never seen the point of sitting in the car 90-minutes and watching a small screen.

IMG_0230.jpg

The screen is nice & bright too, it actually showed up with camera flash on.

Coolest idea ever, it's no wonder all the new cars have available factory navigation these days.

Don't consider this a knock on the AVIC D1, 'cause if I had a little extra money laying around I'd have them in all of my vehicles. However, if you consider yourself "practical" and desire a navagation system, do like I did and spend less than half of what that AVIC D1 costs on a laptop computer, along with Microsoft Streets & Trips w/GPS. I spent $650 for my laptop, and another $100 on MSTw/GPS. I had considered purchasing the D1, but the wife and I both agreed that we'd get more use out of a laptop in general (and for roughly half the cost, it was a no-brainer for us.)

The MSTw/GPS is dead accurate, plots your route according to which roads you prefer (fastest, shortest, no-tolls, etc) has over a million points of interest (not just restaurants, but hotels, airports, post offices, ATM's, shopping malls, etc) and also displays your speed! All of the POI's have contact info listed as well.

The only downside to having a laptop with GPS is that most of the time you'll need a co-pilot to operate it (unless you don't mind pulling over when you need plot a new route.) But if you're going on a trip, a laptop, unlike a nav radio, can keep you connected to the outside world away from the car (wi-fi, anyone?)

Oh, and the laptop can also store MP3's (or WMA's or whatever) and play DVD's. When we took our road trip to Vegas, I ran a cable from the output of my laptop's sound card to the input of my stereo and we listened to hours of music that I loaded onto the LT's HDD...

Ok we're talking about Tv's/DVD players and navigation in cars, so why would I want to lug around a laptop computer in my car??? I want something that goes in the dash. Thanks

I was just wondering how practical you were, that's all. I personally don't have the need for a navagation system every day, so the laptop made more sense to me. Spending $1500 on something that some consider "frivolous" (nav radio) versus $750 on something that can be adapted to do the same thing when called upon (laptop,) you do the math.

But it's your money, so do as you wish :wink: ...

I was just wondering how practical you were, that's all. I personally don't have the need for a navagation system every day, so the laptop made more sense to me. Spending $1500 on something that some consider "frivolous" (nav radio) versus $750 on something that can be adapted to do the same thing when called upon (laptop,) you do the math.

But it's your money, so do as you wish :wink: ...

Oh ok. I gotcha'!!! I really don't have any use for a navigation system either. I absolutely loved my in-dash tv/dvd player when I had it in my Malibu and I'd love to have one in this car.

Don't consider this a knock on the AVIC D1, 'cause if I had a little extra money laying around I'd have them in all of my vehicles. However, if you consider yourself "practical" and desire a navagation system, do like I did and spend less than half of what that AVIC D1 costs on a laptop computer, along with Microsoft Streets & Trips w/GPS. I spent $650 for my laptop, and another $100 on MSTw/GPS. I had considered purchasing the D1, but the wife and I both agreed that we'd get more use out of a laptop in general (and for roughly half the cost, it was a no-brainer for us.)

The MSTw/GPS is dead accurate, plots your route according to which roads you prefer (fastest, shortest, no-tolls, etc) has over a million points of interest (not just restaurants, but hotels, airports, post offices, ATM's, shopping malls, etc) and also displays your speed! All of the POI's have contact info listed as well.

I only paid $570 shipped for my AVIC-D1 and it's in perfect condition, complete with all accessories. :) One of my better eBay scores. Anyway, I didn't get into half of what the D1 does. It does everything you said MST does. When you get close to your turn, it will even announce, "in 3/10ths of a mile, turn left on US60". When you get real close, it will even tell you which exit to use, saying something like "exit to the right, then turn left". At that point it'll go to split screen with an animated picture of the exit you're supposed to take and a little progress meter showing you how close you're getting to the turn. POI's have contact info, and you can search by phone #, address, etc. Prior to getting the D1, I was working on a headless Car PC setup and tried MST 2005 and it was nowhere near as feature-packed and easy to use as the D1. I switched to iGuidance on it because the guys on MP3CAR.com said it's the closest you can get to an aftermarket HU, and it's not even nearly as good. Granted, I'm not going to need navigation very often, but it is VERY easy to use and you don't need a navigator in the car to operate/hold the laptop. I haven't tried MST 2006, but I'll give it a shot to compare. I can't imagine it being quite as refined as an in-car navigation since there are still threads on MP3Car.com about people complaining why PC-based navigation is still way behind even OEM navigation.

MP3's aren't an issue, iPod in the car takes care of the MP3's and is more convenient than having a laptop in the car as well. The D1 can't control an iPod very well, but I bought an aftermarket IPOD2CAR interface and hopefully it'll do the trick. There are other solutions that can control an iPod very well, but I wouldn't have been able to get anything else for the price I paid for the D1.

I'm still working on the indash Car PC project for fun, but I think it's going to end up being a lot more clunky and inconvenient than a D1.

I only paid $570 shipped for my AVIC-D1 and it's in perfect condition, complete with all accessories. :) One of my better eBay scores.

:eek: Lucky bastard! :lol: I'd have definitely picked one up if it were under 6 bills (guess I need to scour eBay more often, then :wink: .) I actually live in an area served by the XM "Nav-Traffic" (or whatever they call the integrated live traffic updates,) which would probably be the sole reason I'd buy the thing.

FWIW, the MST '06 has the voice prompts, along with the "countdown until turn," but it doesn't have the "virtual street view." Other than being able to type in the address(es) on an honest-to-goodness keyboard, it is quite "clunky" to operate in the car. I doubt it would look very good on an in-dash 7" monitor, either. But for what it is, it works quite well.

HOLY CRAP, I just checked eBay and they have the '06 AVIC-D2 model out now. They're selling for under a thousand bucks new! I think I know how I'm going to blow next year's tax return :mrgreen: ...

HOLY CRAP, I just checked eBay and they have the '06 AVIC-D2 model out now. They're selling for under a thousand bucks new! I think I know how I'm going to blow next year's tax return :mrgreen: ...

The D2 isn't much of an improvement. It's a D1 with a firmware update, but the iPod capabilities didn't change at all and it still can't play DVD video (not that I'd ever want to watch a movie in the car). If you buy the $249 2006 map upgrades, it also updates the firmware on the D1 and turns it into a D2. I'll let you in on a secret... the 2006 upgrade is available as a torrent. I just updated my D1 to a D2 this weekend. :wink: It's only very slightly different with no changes to the UI.

Yep, the Z1 is the ultimate. I won't shell out $1700 for it though, that's just too much. I would definitely get one if I could find it for less than $1000 though.

The D2 isn't much of an improvement. It's a D1 with a firmware update, but the iPod capabilities didn't change at all and it still can't play DVD video (not that I'd ever want to watch a movie in the car). If you buy the $249 2006 map upgrades, it also updates the firmware on the D1 and turns it into a D2. I'll let you in on a secret... the 2006 upgrade is available as a torrent. I just updated my D1 to a D2 this weekend. :wink: It's only very slightly different with no changes to the UI.

That's good to know. If that's the only difference between the 2 models, then I'd rather buy the D1.

We can't be too far off until they make a headunit with a videophone, like Knight Rider :lol: . (Okay, I suppose it's technically possible with a car PC and a webcam, but it's not "ready for mass consumption" yet. :lol: )

Videophone in the car! I can't imagine how badly people would drive then, it's bad enough with regular cellphones, but videophones, yikes!

I feel like videophones won't catch on though. Home videophones came out a long time ago (80's?) but nobody wanted one. I think people don't like to be seen when chatting on the phone. I guess some people like to chat in the nude or are pretending to be nice while scowling, rolling their eyes, and flipping off the other person and don't want the other person to see it.