Thinking about getting a HU!!!

brianhasadd

I'm thinking about getting an Alpine head-unit. I always said that I wouldn't do any audio/video mods to this Grand Pix but that's like putting a fat person at an all-u-can-eat buffet and telling them that they can only have plate of food. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm considering these 2. I love Alpines but I also am a HUGE kenwood fan. What do y'all think???

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x24jcEuehfX/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=500CDA9853

AND

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x24jcEuehfX/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=113MP532

I love Kenwood, that's what I have in my car and absolutely love it. One of the first MP3 players they made I think (it's at least 3-4 years old now)..

I also like how the new Pioneer ones look. I think this is the same deck Q-Ball has in his car it's pretty cool! :)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-i3hKL2WRjQK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=130DEHP580&search=Pioneer+VENDORID130&SearchDisplay=Pioneer

I'm curious as to how it would fit/look in your car though, hacking up the dash and all.... :(

Alpine looks cooler, I had nearly that same model in my 2000 Tahoe... I have a Kenwood in my Monte that is similar to that one also, I'd buy the kenwood. Simpler functions and better sounding IMO.

I'm curious as to how it would fit/look in your car though, hacking up the dash and all.... :(

GP04supercharged290.jpg

GP04-Alum-invert-off.jpg

Grand-Prix-04-up-Supercharg.jpg

Grand-prix-04_installedjpg.jpg

Courtesy of MapTech Enterprises, where I bought my Impala's headunit mount.

http://maptechenterprises.netfirms.com/store/nfoscomm/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=28&products_id=33&osCsid=f4b5c9a982714e958084b097326e5f3f

Personally, I wouldn't get either of those, but I don't care for the old-school segmented displays. DEH-P680MP/P6800MP looks much better to me, and it has an Entertainment Clock feature that I love because GM cars don't have a dash clock. First pic DiscoStudd posted is a 680/6800.

I have been looking at them for a while now. I would love to open the door and see this sitting in my dash but it says that it won't fit.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pisB7aADt8z/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&I=500IVAW200

Oooh, that's more like it.

Make it fit. I don't even have a double DIN in my truck, but I've got one coming that I'm gonna make fit even if it means taking a sledge hammer to the dash.

I'd really like to get that one but to make it fit I'd have to lower the A/C knobs. I don't guess it would be too hard to do. I'd rather do it myself rather than pay someone $50 an hour for labor.

I'd really like to get that one but to make it fit I'd have to lower the A/C knobs. I don't guess it would be too hard to do. I'd rather do it myself rather than pay someone $50 an hour for labor.

are you sure that the new grand prix aren't double din already??? I think they are....

The only reason that I say that it won't fit is because Crutchfield says that. Here's a pic of the dash. I'm with you Jeremy, I think it will fit to but according to Crutchfield it won't.

Picture049.jpg

Can't always trust the Crotchfield. According to them, only 3 HU's fit a 94 Cutlass!

That's true. When I had my Malibu they said that none of the in-dash tv/dvd players would fit and i put the Kenwood in there. So what do y'all think I should do?? Should I order the Alpine tv and make it fit??

I personally would never order from crutchfield...in my experience they are very overpriced, even when compared to high end car stereo shops that are local. I would go to a local car stereo place and buy the deck and they should do the install for free too

I always buy stuff from eBay and install it myself.

My Pioneer DEH-P680MP (Premier version) cost $193.97 shipped from eBay, Crotchfield wants $259.99 before shipping for the 6800MP (non-Premier version).

My JVC KD-AVX2 cost $385 shipped from eBay, Crotchfield wants $649.99 before shipping.

They were both brand spanking new.

I did happen to pick up a used Pioneer AVIC-D1 (upgradeable to AVIC-D2) for $570 shipped from eBay while a new AVIC-D2 from Crotchfield is $1499.99.

If you really do want to buy from Crotchfield, I do believe I have a $20-off referral code you're welcome to use.

I would definataly look into a double din or whatever to fill in the space on 04+ dash. And I agree with Gnat on getting one of those Pioneers (or something that looks more modern) than that ugly Kenwood you posted (as much as I love Kenwood, them and Alpine don't look so modern....)

For some reason I was thinking the trip computer was integrated into the stereo.... I must be thinking of other cars like the Torrent and G6 which look similar inside.....

HOLD THE PHONE EVERYBODY!!!!! My stock cd player is 4inches---how many inches is a double-din???

If you look on the link of the Kenwood it says that it won't fit but on the description of the in dash tv it says that it sits flush in your double-sized (4"-tall) dash opening. So I'm guessing that this will fit?? Once again I just measured my stock cd player and it IS 4 inches so I'm guessing that this has to fit. RIGHT??

4" is a double din, so it should fit....you might have to do a little hacking behind everything to get it to fit depth wise, but that shouldn't be a problem

I love Kenwood, that's what I have in my car and absolutely love it. One of the first MP3 players they made I think (it's at least 3-4 years old now)..

I also like how the new Pioneer ones look. I think this is the same deck Q-Ball has in his car it's pretty cool! :)

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-i3hKL2WRjQK/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&I=130DEHP580&search=Pioneer+VENDORID130&SearchDisplay=Pioneer

I was just about to post the identical stuff....lol

^^^Everything C-BAD said times 2.

Unless you get the Kenwood Aniversary eddition Kenwood headunit I would get a newer style pioneer.

Well I just talked to a guy from Crutchfield and he said that it WILL fit. He said that the reason they say that it won't fit is because they don't have the correct mounting brackets. I would have to make those myself which is no problem. Sooo...does anybody have any connections with anybody as far as Car electronics?? I'd really like to find this TV/DVD player less than $1,000. And by the way, here's the one I'm going to get.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-kD7AYjyWHcD/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=168550&I=113DDX6019