Pop goes the timing belt

NaiChemsya

So my timing belt finally went on me. Anyone have some good tips that I can use for replacing it? Or at least some tricks to tell my mechanic to help him do it.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• luminal67

• fastbird232

• patgizz

• dbtk2

Yeah: tell your mechanic no, thank you. Mechanics hate these engines, and he'll take it out on your wallet. Spend the $200 and your Saturday afternoon and do it yourself.

There are also plenty of posts and write ups on this, so fire up the old Search feature and go to work.

time to swap it!!!! :biggrin:

ya thats about as easy as a timing belt right :rolleyes:

the L67 is not the answer to all of life's problems, unless that problem is dinky wang syndrome

time to swap it!!!! icon_biggrin

ya thats about as easy as a timing belt right icon_rolleyes

the L67 is not the answer to all of life's problems, unless that problem is dinky wang syndrome

I just don't understand why people on this forum don't want fast cars. :dunno:

3.4 dohc is faster than a 3.1

timing belt isnt so bad to do, i just took off everything on that side of the engine (coolant take, covers, etc) and went from there. other than having a bit of trouble with room, its fairly straightforward. just make sure you line it up right when you put the belt back on.

you can be fast without an L67. i'll call you if i buy a boat. :lol:

Yup...they call it an L36 with a power adder. :mrgreen:

FWIW....my 208k mile L36 with $180 in mods is quicker than almost every N/A w-body on this site, and I'm sure they all have way more invested in mods. So just imagine an L67 with $180 in mods.

I have nothing against 60*s, I just know from personal experience that a 3.8 is easier and cheaper to get power out of than a 60*. I'm not saying the 60* isn't a better design, because it is, but with no aftermarket that doesn't do much good.

FWIW....my 208k mile L36 with $180 in mods is quicker than almost every N/A w-body on this site, and I'm sure they all have way more invested in mods.

Well, most every n/a w-body on this site is a first-gen and has a 3.1. Way to go!

FWIW....my 208k mile L36 with $180 in mods is quicker than almost every N/A w-body on this site, and I'm sure they all have way more invested in mods.

Well, most every n/a w-body on this site is a first-gen and has a 3.1. Way to go!

I was actually specifically thinking of the 3.4 DOHC cars...

Ah, I see. Well, you said it best:

a 3.8 is easier and cheaper to get power out of than a 60*. I'm not saying the 60* isn't a better design, because it is, but with no aftermarket that doesn't do much good.

DAMN, u mean if i get that GTP i'm wanting it'll cure my dinky wang syndrome too!?...kick ASS!!...i was diagnosed with that shortly after buying the cutlass...can't wait to get the GTP and be cured!...

and brian, the comment about buying a boat was because everyone calls the L67 a "BOAT ANCHOR"...lol...

DAMN, u mean if i get that GTP i'm wanting it'll cure my dinky wang syndrome too!?...kick ASS!!...i was diagnosed with that shortly after buying the cutlass...can't wait to get the GTP and be cured!...

No, I think he was referring more to everyone's obsession with the L67 swap.

I hate the L67 becuase everyone has one or wants one. I'm sticking with the DOHC. I even like the 3.1 more than the L67.

there are more people on this forum that have a 3.4 dohc then there are swapped cars. so in reality, there are more 3.4 dohc cars than swapped cars.

Plus, people want an l67 because they have power and an aftermarket to back it up.

For people who complain about how little of an aftermarket there is for a first gen w-body, you sure want to hang on to an engine that has almost NO aftermarket. And is way less reliable than an l67.

And the same goes for the 3.1, except those arent expected to blow a timing chain ant 90-100,000 miles.

I hate the L67 becuase everyone has one or wants one. I'm sticking with the DOHC. I even like the 3.1 more than the L67.

there are more people on this forum that have a 3.4 dohc then there are swapped cars. so in reality, there are more 3.4 dohc cars than swapped cars.

Plus, people want an l67 because they have power and an aftermarket to back it up.

For people who complain about how little of an aftermarket there is for a first gen w-body, you sure want to hang on to an engine that has almost NO aftermarket. And is way less reliable than an l67.

And the same goes for the 3.1, except those arent expected to blow a timing chain ant 90-100,000 miles.

Stock for stock I would say that the L67 is not anymore reliable then the 3.1, MPFI that is.

properly maintained,IMO, the 3.1 and L67 will last about the same as far as reliability goes.

But nomatter how well you maintain a 3.4, it will still blow timing belts at about 100,000 miles. Even GM will tell you that.

properly maintained,IMO, the 3.1 and L67 will last about the same as far as reliability goes.

But nomatter how well you maintain a 3.4, it will still blow timing belts at about 100,000 miles. Even GM will tell you that.

the recommended interval for timing belt changing is under 100k so if someone never changes it and it goes at 100k - its their own damn fault. not gm's and not a reliability issue with the motor. rubber timing belts wear out and dryrot. in every car theyre used in.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

you're one of those "l67 is the only way to go" guys so i don't need to deal with you.