WHINE coming from engine **UPDATE** 98 Z34

roscoepcoaltrain

UPDATE NUMBER 2 ... so I bit*ch at the repair garage to say hey how do I know that the alt was bad in the first place so I took it back and they replaced the Power steering pump on it for free.... well the good news is the whine is GONE... :biggrin: but of course it cost me well over 3 bills for it...by the way here is a pic of it

RusInator

Next time do a search here and spend $30 at the junkyard and about an hour or so and save yourself $270.

Good to know it's fixed.

I'm glad you found your problem. Now get one of these:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41966

It's a mechanic's stethoscope. It could have saved you a lot of trouble early on, and it can still save you trouble in the future (the screw driver trick works OK, but this is a home run and who doesn't like having new tools?)

Get one, poke around your engine bay with the car running (be careful) and listen to things...your new power steering pump, water pump, put it on the fuel rail and listen...learn the sounds of your engine. Then, when something sounds amiss, you can check again, and you'll know if something sounds out of place. Its even great for finding the knock that is starting to come from your engine be it valve train or you find a injector getting freaky.(knock on wood).

I used mine in a problem like yours but pin pointed the water pump with 100% accuracy. Good luck.

Yep that is what the Mechanic used to test mine out but he must of heard a different whine... as far as a junkyard goes I first wanted someplace to check it first, then I was going to mess with it but of course as it all works out I was knee deep in my mother-in-law issues ... if ya know what I mean so it was the ease and time I didn't have to replace something.. well I guess live and learn.

TheRusInator