WHINE coming from engine **UPDATE** 98 Z34

roscoepcoaltrain

I hear a slight whine coming from my engine area upon acceleration! I just need to know where to take it to to look at it. It does not apper(sound) like it is tied to the power steering as it will do it in Nutral and without turning the wheels. just need some info. thanks in advance

A/C was not on... Alternator my be a possiblity the lights do somtimes dim when I hit the brakes... I guess I can start with Checker and have them test it... Great thanks...

Anything else That it could be? :willynilly:

sure its only a N/A 3800? you could have an L67 in there.... ;)

in seriousness, my car has like a whining ish sound from the PS pump, either that or the alt..

Thats what I thought right away... power streering pump but it goes up with the engine RPM and does not get worse when turning the wheels. and I don't think its the trans... it does it in park also... it only has 87k on the car so I hope it is just the Alt.

Russ

If it makes that noise, no matter what gear your in, and as long as its running, more than lighely its going to be the altenator. Especially when you say your lights dim when hitting the brakes. Id go to a local parts store and have them test it like you said.

My altenator has been whining for atleast a couple months, but seems to be holding up fine... but in your case, have it looked at.

Thanks... I'll get it checked and if something other than that will re-post.. Also will post pictures as soon as the weather clears up enough so I can was -wax it.

Update. I changed out the alternator and serpentine belt last night and WHINE is still present.... I guess I just need to live with it. At least I know I have a New Alternator and my belt is new..... Anything else it could be let me know .....RusInator

it could also be the water pump bearings.

If it didn't do it when parked, i'd say it was the transmission, b/c mine def. has drive chain wine

If you want to make sure it's something that's rotating on the accessory belt making the whining noise, simply remove the belt and start the car. Don't run the car for a long time with the belt removed though as it will overheat.

mfewtrail said

If you want to make sure it's something that's rotating on the accessory belt making the whining noise, simply remove the belt and start the car. Don't run the car for a long time with the belt removed though as it will overheat

My 96 Regal sounds just like a trans pump but remove the drive belt and no whine.

The whine changes with RPM just like you described.

Once when I had the belt off I turned the PS pump by hand several times in both directions.

The PS pump did not whine for several minutes after motor was restarted.

Someone on this forum said GM changed something in the PS pumps around 2000 to cure this problem.

Hope your whine is caused by something simple.

OK Update I have had 2 yes (two) NEW (rebuilt) alternators Installedsecond was under warrenty and the whine still is there soooo I took it back to the shop that tould me YES it was the Alternator and of course he says it was coming from the Alternator and it is most likly the Power steering pump.... WHATTT THE HE** of course it might be that or maybe the thigamajigy is loose ... GOD I hate repair shops... I told them I could of rolled a set of dice and came up with the same answer... I know its my fault for taking it there BUT I thought it was a SIMPLE test to check an Alternator.. I mean if Checker can do it by rolling out a machine ... :evil: :twisted:

RusInator

UPDATE NUMBER 2 ... so I bit*ch at the repair garage to say hey how do I know that the alt was bad in the first place so I took it back and they replaced the Power steering pump on it for free.... well the good news is the whine is GONE... :biggrin: but of course it cost me well over 3 bills for it...by the way here is a pic of it

RusInator

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.