air fuel ratio gages

garyk1970

mine is erratic at cruising speeds.im an 12volt electrical tech,so wiring is correct,is this normal or is it my gage(FAZE)?what brand name is everyone using?accurate?

Guest TurboSedan

yes it's normal to bounce around - that's the ECM correcting the A/F using the signal from the O2 sensor. it will bounce from rich to lean anytime the engine is in closed loop operation.

If you are tapped into the 02 sensor feed line then yes you will have a constant high-low input. It is what the ECM is constanly trying to trim the fuel for a "perfect" A/F. It will never get there but it tries like hell! :willynilly: :wink:

One problem with using the ECM signal is that it is the output the ECM thinks it is seeing. An in-pipe WideBand 02 will give you actual exhaust gas A/F ratio. Just my $ .02 on that. :cool:

Guest TurboSedan

yup it's only going to be somewhat accurate at WOT. narrow band A/F gauges really aren't accurate at all but they will give some assurance that you aren't running lean at WOT. like Kenny said - narrowband A/F gauge is NOT a tuning tool. wideband is.

at WOT you still want to see it read rich on the A/F gauge. if you were seeing stoich at WOT that would probably be too lean. here's a vid of mine, it's an Autometer Phantom series narrow band A/F. you can see it bouncing around until you hear me floor it, then it reads steady rich like it should:

http://www.turbosedan.com/vids/MOV02357.MPG

[br]Posted on: 30 April 2006, 20:23:05_________________________________________________

thanks for the info,it does read when wot!thats all that counts, im still alittle rich,need more boost...

I would read my last post...DO NOT TUNE BASED ON THE ECM SIGNAL! Easiest way in the world to burn nice holes in the tops of your pistons! You need a WideBand 02 to do that. :cool:

Also depending on the chip you are running you will always be towards rich. I do not think any chip people here play with the settings for POWER ENRICHMENT AIR FUEL RATIO. Having 11.7:1 up to 10.4:1 as your RPM rises for desired Air Fuel while under boost is not exactly peak performance...more like flog the combustion chamber with fuel to keep it cool. I will not say what I changed mine to for fear someone would do it to their's and cook their engine...but with minor changes in PE Boost A/F it is like an entirely different monster! :wink:

thanks, i meant that it reads rich at wot.i see its not accurate,but its better than what i can guess,where the link to educate me on a wide band o2?

thanks invasion1,im taking your advice on everything.

Oh boy...look out! :leaving:

:joke: Dave is definitely one of the more advanced LG5 power plant owners on here! Although his taste in interior colors is to be determined! :puke: :wink: :lol: :cool: