How to check the X-Over?

RedZMonte

Well, I think you have to have it off to check it.

To test mine, I plugged the EGR hole and taped up the flange that attaches to the turbo. Then I poured water into the pipe and it leaked out the shield. The tape on the flange was water-tight, so I knew it was leaking out of somewhere. The water trick works like a charm, because I ended up cutting the heat shield off to take a look and sure enough, it was cracked in several places.

It's a good idea to wet down the heat shield when cutting it off anyway, because that will reduce the risk of particles breaking off that fibrous insulation in the heat shield. I think it's asbestos!

I have one from Malibuolds and i used a flat head screw driver and popped the rivets out by prying the 2 pieces apart. took about 5 min. Its easy to take the heat shield off, Just don't want to piss w/ ripping it out if i don't have to.

I might take it to my turbo builder and see if i can increase efficentcy any (different stage wheels or something)

Shane