18" wheels, what tire size are your running?

Fmr12B

Considering the upgrade to 18" chrome wheels for the summer and per the tire calculator the correct size to use is 225/50/18 but that is a very difficult size to get ahold of. Keeps the Speedo almost dead on.

Anyone running 235/50/18's on a 7.5" wheel?

Thanks!

Yeah, mine rubs with 245/45R18 on full lock. I even tried tweaking the subframe alignment. 235/50R18 is too tall. 235/45R18 fits perfectly, but is a rare size (Infiniti M45 fitment) and is just a hair shorter than stock.

245/40R18 should fit fine, but might look a little gappy on a non-lowered car since it's an inch shorter tire than stock. It's the easiest/cheapest size to find though.

Anyone running 255 tires? I'm sure pushing the offset out more would allow for wider tires too, that is the other thing, obviously some are going to rub because their offset set in more. TGP 25mm offset with 245 is just fine, what offset do your wheels have Shawn?

I think z34_nut Kyle's Z34 has 255's on it.

My offset is +37mm. I think the problem with my 245's is they're too tall. The TGP 245's are a full inch shorter. I can guarantee there would be no rubbing problems if I had gotten 245's that are a full inch shorter. I bet 255 would work if they're shorter than stock. 255/40R18 would fit I think. 255/45R18 I bet would rub pretty bad since they'd be even taller than mine (that's the stock size on Grand Prix GXP's).

I just got to say, this thread is very useful.. THe Lumina will be getting 18" diameter wheels after the Olds is paid off.. And the rim itself is 8" wide.. Thanks to those posting here..

Also, that size that makes it almost "dead on".. What exactly is being referred to here? (I'm a total noob to rims, lol)

"Dead on" meaning the size of the tire makes the overall diameter of wheel+tire exactly the same as stock, so speedo is accurate and doesn't vary. If your new tires have a smaller diameter than stock, your speedo will read faster than your actual speed. If your new tires have a larger diameter than stock, your speedo will read slower than your actual speed.

I think z34_nut Kyle's Z34 has 255's on it.

My offset is +37mm. I think the problem with my 245's is they're too tall. The TGP 245's are a full inch shorter. I can guarantee there would be no rubbing problems if I had gotten 245's that are a full inch shorter. I bet 255 would work if they're shorter than stock. 255/40R18 would fit I think. 255/45R18 I bet would rub pretty bad since they'd be even taller than mine (that's the stock size on Grand Prix GXP's).

Actually from what I found 255/40/18 is actually slightly taller. Its a 1.5% difference, 245/50/16 is 25.65" diamter, and 255 is 26.03"

I think the biggest concern with going to 255 would be the wheel width. 255 may be to wide to mount on an 8" wide wheel, it suggested 8.5-10" ones....hmm. I would really like 255 with 18" "Mustang" wheels, but throwing in the 255, plus a wider wheel and the offset may get a tid bit confusing. Wonder if anyone has a offset/width/wheel/tire size calculator to help? :confused:

Actually from what I found 255/40/18 is actually slightly taller. Its a 1.5% difference, 245/50/16 is 25.65" diamter, and 255 is 26.03"

I think the biggest concern with going to 255 would be the wheel width. 255 may be to wide to mount on an 8" wide wheel, it suggested 8.5-10" ones....hmm. I would really like 255 with 18" "Mustang" wheels, but throwing in the 255, plus a wider wheel and the offset may get a tid bit confusing. Wonder if anyone has a offset/width/wheel/tire size calculator to help? :confused:

Yeah, 255/40R18 is slightly taller than the 245/50R16's, but it's also a little shorter than the 225/60R16 (26.6") used on most W-bodies. They'll fit on an 8" wide wheel although the tire manufacturers recommend at least 8.5", but the previous bodystyle Jaguar XJR uses the 255/40's on an 18x8 wheel. I have also seen 255/40's mounted on 18x8 Eagle 077's.

Most 18" Mustang wheels are 18x9 I thought, so 255/40R18's should fit just fine.