Removing Pinstripes

97loudcut

Does anyone have any good ways to remove pinstripes that are painted on? I don\'t want to hurt the paint of my car at all! If you have any info let me know.

The pin strip I believe is under the clear coat. ( on most cars ) So becarful in what you do. I may be wrong ( if I am, some one please let me know )

Pinstripes like that are usually put on at the dealership, meaning its over the clearcoat.

The pin strip I believe is under the clear coat. ( on most cars ) So becarful in what you do. I may be wrong ( if I am, some one please let me know )

Pinstripes like that are usually put on at the dealership, meaning its over the clearcoat.

I can second that. Mine are definately over the clearcoat. I've contemplated removing them, but I'm worried it won't look right with the paint having faded since they were put on.

OVEN CLEANER. If it didn't hurt my crappy GM paint it won't hurt yours. I got the tip from a detailer at a local dealership. Just spray it on... and wipe it off. Then clean the car and wax it.

I also used oven cleaner to get my BF's pinstripes off on his '01 Z24. No problems.

Before:

000_0158_m.jpg

After:

100_0132Medium.jpg

:cussing:

Yeh I bought the "oven cleaner" and...NOTHING AT ALL. Didn't affect the pinstripes one bit. It was like scrubbing them with water. WTF kind of pinstripes did MCC's car have...fingerpaint?

:cussing:

Yeh I bought the "oven cleaner" and...NOTHING AT ALL. Didn't affect the pinstripes one bit. It was like scrubbing them with water. WTF kind of pinstripes did MCC's car have...fingerpaint?

Are yours cleared over? And no, my pinstripes were VERY thick and I had way more than you do.

I don't know what to tell you.

If they didnt come off with oven cleaner, they very well may be cleared over. I know GM cleared over them on some cars but not on others. Like I said, I think his are cleared over so youll need to take that clear off.

If they didnt come off with oven cleaner, they very well may be cleared over. I know GM cleared over them on some cars but not on others. Like I said, I think his are cleared over so youll need to take that clear off.

Like I said stripes aren't a factory thing, they are put on at the dealer.

Try wetsanding them off. If they aren't sealed up with the factory paint under clearcoat.. you should be able to wetsand them off. Then you'll need some rubbing compound to get the paint shiney again, then a good polish, and wax.

I had to use lacquer thinner on my painted stripes. Took a LOT of time but it worked. The oven cleaner didn't work on my car's stripes. Well, it slightly affected them, but lacquer thinner worked quicker.