Anyone ever "Get Maaco"??

gmrulz4u

I "got maaco" on my Z34, and it looks fine. The key is you have to get good prep. I mean, its not glass-smooth like a professional job, but for about 1/4 the price you get more than 1/4 the look. I have a good pic with the lumina ($800 paint) next to the regal ($4000 paint), and you can certainly see what I mean, but you'll also see that the lumina looks damn nice.

$4,000 for a paint job is pretty steep. That's probably half the value of your vehicle, if not more. Did you change colours, add pearl or metallics, or is it a tri-coat? Unless you needed serious bodywork, $4,000 is a near rip-off.

$4000 includes complete sanding to metal and removal of all dings/dimples/dents A 3 coat base metallic black, wetsanded between coats, and a 2 step clear coat, wetsanded between coats and 1 month later a full wetsand/machine buff job. I am very satisfied with the job and I think it was worth the money, thankfully not my money.

if u think $4,000 is a ripoff, then what do u think about hood, nose, and front fenders for a 80 vette for $3,000. That for for my dads 1980 corvette in show condition, but yet toms 90 regal is in show condition.

Paul

I'm going to be getting my 89 Cutlass Supreme newly painted, and debating on where to go.

What are everyones thoughts one Maaco??

http://www.worldzone.net/auto/olds/owners/brewer.html

I figured anything I can do can't get much worse than a maaco job I can afford, so I'm going to buy a $28 gallon of arctic white enamel and shoot it myself!

I got my oldsmobile CS reapainted in Maaco but i needed to prepare it myself and remove old paint because when they do it, that paint will come off in a year and when you do it will last about 3. Doesnt look like my brand new car but it looks better than it did and i only paid 350

Yowsers, my car looks great and i spent $1000 and its in Canadian dolars. Thats right it was alot of work, i did all the prep work my self, i sanded all the way down to primer and some sheet metal in some areas, then primed it, did the body work, and primed it again, then sanded it, then got it sprayed by a paint shop for $400(CDN), the paint is the white diamond paint found on the 2002 cadillac CTS, it is a tricoat, i love the pearls!!! i am so very happy, Don't get riped off!!!! make sure they prep it good, alot of places won't take the time to sand all the way down without charging alot of money, thats why i did it myself. And i am completely happy!! :D

I painted over the bowtie myself, and also, jeff, I tried to send you pics to show you the difference, but it wouldn't go through, whats your email? I think the pics might show you that maaco aint all that bad

I removed my old paint to the metal and put a primer on it before i gavie it to Maaco. Yes my paint started peeling on the hood and roof, and i tried to stop it by using a touch up paint but then it started to peel somewhere else so i just figured i will repaint the whole car. I did it about 7 months ago and i need to say that it still looks good, but after it got painted i couldnt wax it or wash it for 3 weeks because paint was drying (cheap paint)

$400 for a tri-coat paintjob is very, very cheap. Hell the tri-coat on my A6 was a $1,200 option! But hey, I too love metallics and pearls! As for SuperBuick, now I know why it cost that much! Labour! Materials cost a lot, but you still have to pay for the labour to wetsand between coats and stuff. It's good to have your vehicle wetsanded between coats, though I think it's probably good enough to simply wetsand once between the base and the clear. Luckily you didn't have to pay for it yourself. I'd love to have a similar paint job done on my Buick! I seriously need new paint!

What's the big thing about tri-coat? What is done? My wife has a Red metalic tri-coat intrepid....yeah, I know....It's a throw away car compared to the Regal, all plastic.

But she gets what she likes and I get what I like.

Is the tri-coat really that much more expensive? Maybe a selling point soon as I'm getting her interested in a 2000 Regal or Intigue.

Guest 96SupremeCuttySL

Funny this thread is here, 'cause I was actually going to ask a similar question to this today. So, from what I'm reading here, it would be cheaper, and result in a better paint job from Macco If I were to do the prep work myself?

Here's what I want: The car is currently white. I'd like to get it repainted either black, silver, or preferably a pewter/gun metal color.(My wife and I haven't agreed on a color completely yet) It doesn't need to be a $4k paint job, because I can't afford that. If I do some/most/all of the prep work, I think that a $1000 to $1500 should look pretty decent (regardless of where I get it done). Is that reasonable? This thread has been a big help already. Thanks.