Cutty mirrors

97CuttySupSL

In My Opinion

Sometimes people use IMHO = In My Humble Opinion.

I thought about modifying some some cheap plastic "M3 style" mirrors to fit, but the quality just wasn't very good and the glass was too small and offered poor visibility.

If you want to change the looks some I'd paint them body color. I did with my '89 and it ties the car together nicely. Older base model cars had body color mirrors, but not the more expensive ones.... :roll:

If you want to change the looks some I'd paint them body color. I did with my '89 and it ties the car together nicely. Older base model cars had body color mirrors, but not the more expensive ones.... :roll:

It's because the black mirrors look better and blends into the glass, much cleaner look and less sticking out like dumbo elephant ears. :wink:

Just imagine if I had a red mirror on the car in my sig. It would stick out like Rudolph's nose.

It's because the black mirrors look better and blends into the glass, much cleaner look and less sticking out like dumbo elephant ears. :wink:

Just imagine if I had a red mirror on the car in my sig. It would stick out like Rudolph's nose.

This argument would go on forever....Luckily its mild on this board, now over on the Beretta boards where the cars go from body painted to black mirrors a lot, so its a heavily argued thing its quite funny. I personally like black too myself.....however, painted B-Pillar *Door handle area* can be argued just as much, I had it painted on our Beretta and I liked it but wow that was a major bitch fest :roll: I haven't seen any W-Bodys here with it, wonder how it would look on one as compared to the L-Bodys......hmmmm :?

This argument would go on forever....Luckily its mild on this board, now over on the Beretta boards where the cars go from body painted to black mirrors a lot, so its a heavily argued thing its quite funny. I personally like black too myself.....however, painted B-Pillar *Door handle area* can be argued just as much, I had it painted on our Beretta and I liked it but wow that was a major bitch fest :roll: I haven't seen any W-Bodys here with it, wonder how it would look on one as compared to the L-Bodys......hmmmm :?

there is a white regal on the boards with the b-pillar painted...i don't think it looks too bad, but there were mixed opinions on it...

Yeah, it belongs to firefighter0029.

I didn't care for that much either, stuck out too much. Black is cleaner, coupled with tint, it just flows. Some people like things that stick out and pop, I prefer clean, smooth and flowing.

Does anyone have a write up as to exactly how to replace these mirrors? I ask b/c I want to replace or repaint mine. I don't see a way to do it without damaging the interior door moldings...

How do you remove the panel without breaking it? I was in the j/y about a month ago, and I didn't pull the mirrors b/c I wasn't sure what to do on my own car.

I don't remember on the 4dr... I've done it before, but it's been awhile. Probably similar to a 2dr. You have to remove that plastic plate around the handle by removing 1 phillips screw. Then there is a big screw behind that you have to remove. Remove the cap from the seatbelt outlet on the top edge and remove 1 or 2 screws from there (lots of cars don't have the 2nd screw, cheap-ass GM!!!). There may also be a screw at the bottom of the trim panel. I also remember one or more screws (visible) near the mirror area, and possibly a screw towards the rear. All the screws are visible and near the edge, so you should be able to spot them. Once you're confident all screws are out, use a trim panel removal tool and pry up the edge of the trim panel a little on the rear and bottom. That should allow you to see all the barbed plastic fasteners. Then slip the tool into each one and loosen them until they all come free. Once every barbed fastener is out, just lift up on the trim panel and it will come off.

I haven't owned many cars, but the trim panels are a PITA on first-gen W-bodies! I hate those barbed fasteners. Those fasteners can only be reused a couple times before they're too worn, so don't remove the trim panel any more than necessary. In fact, it may be a good idea to buy a few spare fasteners just in case.