Power Sunroof Seal Replacement

jeremy

Has anyone ever replaced the sunroof seal themselves? If so how difficult was it and how long did it take? Any type of write up or pics? Anyone got a part number?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

I would also like to know this to. I actually think I asked this question a long time ago, and dont remember getting a good answer.

Jeremy, I know just the piece of weather stripping is like $60 from GM and I cant find it at any auto parts stores.

I read somewhere that you can lube up the seal with a silicone-based lubricant and it'll "swell" up and seal like it should.

http://www.sunroofs.org/index.htm <-- Might've been this site (too lazy to read through it all, sorry :( .)

If you're hell bent on replacing it, I would wager a guess that you'd have to remove the headliner and drop the whole sunroof assembly down and out.

Is your sunroof leaking water into the car? The seal isn't designed to be absolutely water tight. That's why the drainage "troughs" are there, to keep the water that does leak past the seal out of the interior. You might want to try cleaning out the troughs and drainage tubes first.

I'd say if the seal isn't so tight that it "pops" away from the roof when you raise or lower it, then it might indeed be time for a new one...

I read somewhere that you can lube up the seal with a silicone-based lubricant and it'll "swell" up and seal like it should.

the seal on mine is "jacked up"....at least that is the best that I can describe it :lol:

It got "caught" when I put the roof all the way back, so it basically tore the rear part of the seal away from the glass and was getting in the way of the roof closing....I managed to "dig" the seal out of the track and put it back around the glass, but as it is right now I am afraid to put it back because I know it will get all "jacked up" again.....I can put the roof up and down ok and it doesn't leak, but I can't put it back all the way without it doing it again...

I found the part number in a post from our fearless leader way back in 2003...now I just need to figure out how to replace it

Anyway, the rubber seal that goes around the sunroof is part #12392898 and you can order it from any dealer.

You can take the glass off w/o taking the headliner down.

details/instructions please :D

Well, Ive never done it, but they guy that fixed my car did. All I have is pics of the factory service manual pages about the sunroof. You want me to post them?

You can take the glass off w/o taking the headliner down.

details/instructions please :D

Well, Ive never done it, but they guy that fixed my car did. All I have is pics of the factory service manual pages about the sunroof. You want me to post them?

Is that from my book? :wink:

Jeremy, if the car is going to be in Canton, I could easily come down and help.

With the sunroof in the Vent position

You can loosen the 10mm (?) nuts on the track portion of the glass, and slide the glass rearward and up to remove it. As far as what to do after that, I have no idea.

I scanned the service manual pics for Robby a long time ago when he was trying to get his figured out. Hopefully he posts them, cause I think I deleted those scans, and I'm too lazy to scan again. :bash:

I thought once you get the glass off, it just pulls straight off. I could have sworn I've taken the one off my GP before, only to put it back on because I was too cheap to spring the $60 for one. Mine is lifting on the edges where the ends touch and sometimes gets caught when closing. I seem to remember I may have trimmed it a bit so it doesn't get caught or some other cheap trashy fix.

I thought once you get the glass off, it just pulls straight off. I could have sworn I've taken the one off my GP before, only to put it back on because I was too cheap to spring the $60 for one. Mine is lifting on the edges where the ends touch and sometimes gets caught when closing. I seem to remember I may have trimmed it a bit so it doesn't get caught or some other cheap trashy fix.

I figured it was a nice and easy fix once I get the glass out...I just hope the glass removal is simple...

I think it is. All I remember doing to get the glass out is loosening a bunch of bolts. They didn't need to be completely removed if I remember right. Just loosened and the glass slides back and lifts right up.