rust

luminal67

Yep, I have some. Mainly over the rear wheel wells. This spring/summer, I'm hitting up JY's all over to find some good pieces, and replacing what is bad. I also want to pull off the side body cladding to inspect that as well. My underbody is actually in really good condition, and a coat of por-15 will fix anything that is slightly bad.

Hey, about how much POR-15 did you use to go over the rad support?

I want to pick some up to go over my rad support, subframe, control arms and a lot more eventually, but the shit isn't cheap. How much should I expect to use?

I want to pick some up to go over my rad support, subframe, control arms and a lot more eventually, but the shit isn't cheap. How much should I expect to use?

I used half a quart and that did the entire underneath of my car twice...... That stuff goes a looooonnnngggg way. But its about 35 bucks.

I used half a quart and that did the entire underneath of my car twice...... That stuff goes a looooonnnngggg way. But its about 35 bucks.

GOOD, because I was looking at their site and all I could remember is that they wanted a hundred bucks for a gallon... :shock:

My car doesnt have any rust either....... and Im from further north so HA. But that POR-15 is a very good preventative for rust.

Actually .... it works best when it's applied OVER existing rust. Did my underbody too. Just don't get it on your hands..... they will be black for a week or so.

Also... it's VERY thin... almost the consistancy of milk.

Little spots here and there, but nothing too major. Actually a friend of mine does body work however, I haven't done much yet because he is a perfectionist and he wants to strip the entire quarter panel to fix a dime size rust spot. I figure what the hell the car could use some new paint anyway and I won't turn down free labor. Plus it'll be a good excuse for us to give my wife while we hang out.

Well on your quarter, the only thing that will keep it away completely is getting at it from behind. You could sand the whole quarter down and repaint it, but it'll be back. Trust me, I know. I've re-done mine twice ( sanding it to bare metal, then hitting it with Extend, then priming, painting and clearing ) and the shit still comes back.

All the water and mud from the wheel well gets in there and rusts everything to piss.

This spring I'm poping off the rear bumper and plastic wheel well and doing some serious shit to keep it away. I dunno what yet. :lol:

Much is the same with the rockers on these cars. There are tiny gaps at the bottom ( pull off the little door vent and you'll see daylight coming through your rocker ) that let all the salt and crap in, and it rusts like a banshee. I'm sure GM's idea was to let the moisture OUT that way, but it seems like it does more harm than good with their half ass rust proofing. My first fix on the rockers is still good though, after a year...thank god.

This spring I'm poping off the rear bumper and plastic wheel well and doing some serious shit to keep it away. I dunno what yet. :lol:

Jay(xtremelumina92) pointed out to me on his fiance's Scion something to me, and I really like the idea. In the rear wheel wells, they welded a seam inbetween the two metal panels themselves, that way moisture wouldn't get inside. You could only see it if looking, because of how it was done.

Anyways, seemed like a really good idea to me, and something I would like to have done to mine whenever I can get mine fixed.

Hmmm.. that does sound like it would work good. I dont think I'm nearly crafty enough with welder to do that though. Probobly turn my quarter into a warped melted mess. :lol:

Maybe I could just try some seam sealer on it.

:kiss: our cars should get together some time, make some sparks fly. wow I must be tired

Must be. Suny oneonta (sp) isnt really that far. I believe its out on 88 right? Only about a 2 hour tops. Next time you got time off, shoot me a Pm and well meet up if you want....

Intlcutlass, look at my cardomain pics from what it used to be to whats its like now. It was just surface rust but I mean cmon thats the underbody where all the shit goes. (by no rust I meant the body :wink: )

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of small localized surface rust spots under my car, and two random dime sized spots on my roof that I more or less corrected. Other than that I'm clean.

I can poke my finger through any part of my drivers side rocker panel. and the pass. side isn't far behind. I need to get a picture of me fingering my car.

only reall rust on mine is right above the drivers side of the windshield. then on my drivers door its starting on the bottom of the doors

ive recently found some bubbling on my rear fender wells :( funny thing, the body's starting to rust...but theres no rust underneath the car *scratches head* and its an IL car

:lol2: That thing is such a POS!!! :lol2:

Thanks asshole

not gonna lie, it is a TOUGH car to "restore" not alot of people make rear 1/4's for the G body monte's besides 1 or 2 companies

:lol2: That thing is such a POS!!! :lol2:

Thanks asshole

not gonna lie, it is a TOUGH car to "restore" not alot of people make rear 1/4's for the G body monte's besides 1 or 2 companies

I don't care. The car isn't getting restored. There was no need to call a car that I love a POS. It's fucking rude.

On my '96 I have tiny rust bubbles under my gas door.. they've been popping lately :cry:

Stop it before it gets worse! Thats how this starts (Yes, the actual metal is blistering and flaking off):

normal_100_7632.JPG

Don't let it get that far... :(