WX on radio... wtf?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I noticed this on my car. On the digital green display for the radio, is says AM, FM, and WX. what is WX? I noticed it on a caddy navigation system, that said AM, FM, WX... whats it for? can i use WX?

pics?

WX when googled seems to be the national weather channel.

I went through my radios and parts, and none of them seem to have it, on ones where i could see the display. Actually I only have had maybe three pontiac radios, all basic tapedecks, from 94 Gp(couldn't read), 88 grand am and 91 6000.

I believe there are some factory systems that can recieve NWS broadcasts. I think a lot of the "extra" stuff on a display are for exported cars.

I agree, but I don't think export..... it is just like bulbless sockets in most instrument clusters(they made "tailgate ajar" in early Regal clusters :shock:), it is easiest to make one vacuum flourescent or LCD display with many purposes. many of these phantom indicators may represt options that other models may have had, or potential options that were scrapped.

in fact... Ross, do you mean you actually found yourself on the WX channel, or just you see that it is a possible light on the display?

both the stereos in my regal have that and i had always wondered about that too. I kinda figured that it may have been to pick up weather stations. I figured that there may have been some secret button combination to switch it. :lol:

Heres a picture of the display from the stereo of a regal

100_2701.jpg

Guest Anonymous

yah thats how mine is. I'm wondering if there is a way to get into WX mode.

On my cluster, the systems monitor has indicators that say SECURITY and TRUNK AJAR, which are not used.

LD is for "loudness" or bass boost, or whatever you call it. And DNR is actually for "Dynamic Noise Reduction" It is used to eliminate some of the light hiss that you notice on FM stations, and i beleive that it also works for AM too. Anyone who has FM modulated equipment running through their stereo may find it usefull. On that particular model of stereo(No 5 band EQ, just Bass and Treb) There is actually a secret combination to activate the loudness and the bass boost. :lol: if you press the BAL down button and the volume down button at the same time, it will turn on the loudness, and if you press the BAL up, and the volume up button, it will activate the DNR. I still dont know what the 50 is for though.

I think it does, or maybe my ears are playing tricks on me, but it will up the bass and treble responses, so that there is more depth to the music. But you also have to adjust your EQ accordingly, with loudness turned on, the bass on my EQ is one notch above center, and there is enough bass to rattle my rearview mirror, But, as with most GM stereos, when you bring the volume up close to max, it will cut out some of the bass to reduce distortion.

Guest Anonymous

the radios with the 5 band EQ had buttons that said LOUD where the bass was and DNR where the treb was. My radio piece is not from an EQ setup, so it has the bass and trebel. I noticed if i change the bass and treble some, it moves 2 of the bars on my EQ up and down.

the radios with the 5 band EQ had buttons that said LOUD where the bass was and DNR where the treb was. My radio piece is not from an EQ setup, so it has the bass and trebel. I noticed if i change the bass and treble some, it moves 2 of the bars on my EQ up and down.

Use the "secret combination" that i listed a few posts above and set the bass and treb in the middle.

I'm scanning the info on the stereos from my manual :lol:

Guest Anonymous
Ross! PICS OF YOUR RADIO!

STM_2036.jpg

sorry its a crappy pic, but its like 10 degrees out there now and im not going out for another! Standard issue on the 88-89 SE models, but i retrofitted it into my 92. looks cool in the pic, looks even cooler in person.

Guest Anonymous

will do. I know most people think im crazy for putting that thing in, but it looks too cool. Also, i do have rear defrost, its just not lit up for some reason in that pic... FYI sort of thing.

Those slave CD units we were discussing will work with the square radio piece as well, as in the sunbirds and regals.