Engine Mount Struts (Dog Bones)

91CuttyConv

Hi All!!

I am replacing the torque struts on my 3.1 Cutlass. I was wondering if anyone could recomend what brand I should buy, I was going to get AC Delco originals but if any of you know something better I am all ears. Also, when I go to replace them what are the steps? Can I replace one at a time without causing harm? That is will the engine be supported fine by only one strut, just long enough for me to slip in the new one? Thanks alot.

Jason

1991 Cutlass Conv.

I have the polly dogbone kit for my car, I lofve it and would highly recomend them. there isnt as much hesitation caused by engin roll, it almost seems quicker off the line, plus there is a little more engin vibration in the floor boards that makes you think there is a big block in there..

I don't think you'd want/can do this but I'd recommend getting a soild rubber main engine mount. The engine don't move much with it and yet it still gives. I personally don't like the idea of the tie bar being sufficiently yanked by the engine like that all the time(esspecailly if it's the 2 little v6's doing it). Its better if the main mount takes the load. With the solid mount you can still have response but it won't wreack havoc on the tie bar. Not to mention you won't have as much vibration, to me its a better deal. If its wasn't for those structural chassis supports going from the strut tower to the tie bar anyone with those poly bushings would have a nice old crack in there chassis right now. Its amazing but it flexes that much. If you know your way around cars I'd suggest a solid main mount, and the standard dog bones from wherever you can get them and maybe even replacing the trans mount, if you have a 4T60E you have a hydro mount and you could possibly change to a solid mount from the 440T4/4T60 trans. Rockauto.com sell this mount under the name of Westar and its runs for $50. I think its better for the chassis, better for the driver's nerves and just as good response if not a hair less.

.......The main engine mount is located on the bottom passenger side.If you did pull the motor you'll know it as the the u shaped braket with the mount attached to it. Yeah of cousre the mount looks like stock why would it look like anything else? The only thing is that its a solid chunk of rubber instead of its being a hydraulic... but obviuosly I point haven't got my point across.....

I get the generic $15 ones from O'Reilly Auto Parts. :)

Well, they do have a brand name, but I can't remember it.

They're ugly, black cast iron ones.

You can certainly switch them out one at a time. In fact, that's how I'd recommend doing it.