Help with audio wiring

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm continuing to research the vintage slave CD player project i have had brewing. As most of you know i wanted to add a slave CD player from a sunbird/riv/reatta that works with the old square HU's.

The plug is the same as one of two that plugs into my cassette/EQ component. I can eiither unplug the cassette (it may lose the backlighting), or splice in the CD harness.

I'm concerned about the electrical feed moving backways and frying the opposite device. Like if i had the speaker wires spliced from the CD unit into the cassette harness, and i played a cd, would the voltage backtrak into the cassette unit and fry it?

The know that the CD player connected by itself will work with my setup, however, i need to figure out how to keep my digital cassette/EQ and add the CD player on. Anyone have any ideas as far as wiring? The wiring is pretty simple. This is the diagram for the 89 setup: One of the plugs that goes into the cassette unit is identical to the CD unit, however i'm not sure which one on this diagram it is.

89RadioDiagram2copy.gif

Anyone have any idea how i can wire the two of them together?

not sure, I have a 95 riveria cd player and radio I am going to install, and the wiring diagrams(courtesy stockgp)..... give me a few days and I'll see what I can do....

anyone else who can chime in?

buickcdplayer.jpg

courtesy of Stockgp

C1 is the 5 pin connector,

C2 is the 9 pin connector.

based on info I know other (on non-gms) have done, they set up similiar items with series of switched, so the entire wiring would be remotely swapped from one external device to another.

May I suggest...... Since it can be determined which lines are the audio channels, I have read up that you could simply install a switch that flips from tape deck input to a headphone jack input, allowing the use of an MP3 player. You must have a tape playing for this to work, it tricks the radio into thinking it is taking a tape audio feed, but instead it is getting a switched feed from a headphone jack, hooked to an MP3 player, or something...

READ!!!:

http://www.hackaday.com/entry/1234000897045842/

http://www.mattgilbert.net/carstereoauxinput/

I'd try to wire up it up so you would have to switch the audio feeds of either unit for which ever one you'd like to listen to.

As far as backlighting, I'd wire the two units together. A slave cd player has little lighting in it anyway (maybe the eject button is illuminated??)

Good info!!! I tried adding an aux input into my basic tapedack radio, to no avail. I was off by one wire, it looks like!!!!!!!!! I tried to ground a headphone jack ground to the black wire he mentions not to use, and not the chassis ground!

Must try again......................

THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest Anonymous

I really don't want to spend alot of $$ or time on this project... I just got an awesome new iPod interface that supports a CD changer, so i may be better off getting one of those... I don't want to try and add an aux input, but just wire this thing in...

I thought you were hauling your car off to the junkyard? :lol:

ditto!!!

Ross, Ross, Ross.....

Wiring in a aux input is actually quite easy. As long as you know which wires and which and such. All the info is here, minimum you need a pole switch capable of handling three seperate wire circuits, and a relay.