Whats The Widest Rim Size One Can Use?

95oldsVan

Im speaking of 16 or 17 inch wheels.Dont care about bling bling chromies or anything like that.

Whats the widest one can go before it rubs or hits? Tire sizes,Offset and etc?

Thanks for any info...btw this is meant for the early W cars,such as my 91 Loomean'a that has factory 16 inch wheels on it now.

:)

Well, TGPs came with 16x8s...so that'll work

I knew that but was wondering if anyone has gone wider with wider rims,wider tires etc.It can be aftermarket rims too,just no 20 something inch wheels is what I dont care for.Something under 18 is good.Need wheel specs and etc as well.

245 would be the widest i would go, they are 1/2 an inch or less from rubbing at full lock

Cool..on what size rim and offset though?Also do you mean 245/50 or 55 or 60,etc?Just curious..thanks for your help.

245/50/R16 is my tire size, and on full lock its got like 1/2 inch or so from rubbing, offset, what ever stock is, i cant remember

Cool,how is handling and road feel?

What I think would be great,would be to have a wheel size of either 16x8.5,or 16x9 or 16x9.5 or 17x9.0,etc but have the offset stock or close to stock but have the wheel wider towards the outside fender lip.The wheel wells look like they could hold wider tires and etc and I think the cars would look good if it had more tread width all the way around.As long as they wouldnt rub the fenders or anything during hard cornering.

Im thinking about measuring my offset tomorrow and also see how much room is left between the outer fender and etc.Just for fun and ideas to see if its worth upgrading to wider wheels.

It handles pretty good, it grips the road great, and rides as good as a Y99 Grand Prix gets, Loud because my tires were just rotated after never being rotated for year, , Although the steering is very stiff at low speeds from how wide the tires are

• 2 weeks later...
Im running 245/40 on my 18"x8"

Your wheels look great! Dont look overkill or too blingy for me.Do you know what the offset of the rims are and are they the same front and back?

Thanks! Btw what brand of rims are those? Your sig says Eagle? If thats what it is,I never heard of it.Can you tell me more about them?

yeah they are Eagle Alloy model 077 mine are 18 inch, and the offset is +38 mm and they are 18inch, by 8 inch wheels, mine are the chrome version, they come in polished too, and you can get em in 16's, 17's or 18's

So what would be a good combo for 19x8.5 rims? (I don't know what to estimate for rubbing since I haven't put the intraxs on yet) also, does anyone wanna explain what offset is? I know what it involves, but havent heard a good explination to fully understand it

The offset of a wheel is the distance from its hub mounting surface to the centerline of the wheel. The offset can be one of three types. pos, neg, or zero

And for a set of 19's a 245/35-19 tire is just 4/10 of one inch smaller in overall diamter than a typical 215/60-19 so a 245/35-19 should work