jhgj

ManicMechanic

find another car with similar ones to cut down, or get some tire repair kits and make new ones. I can splain later if ya want, sounds odd but it looks pretty decent for sopending like 3$

GL with the J/Y those are always cracked or gone. i did see a new pair go for 312 dollars on ebay still the gm bag.

this place still has some WS but not everything.http://www.buy-oem-parts.com/storefront.htm

Jason Peelar was actually the one who told me about that about a year and a half ago or so, he was the one with the triple white 95 up in canada. Ill try and do a mini write up on it, but i cant get pics or anything (and I need to redo mine right, since when I did it I was stranded for two hours because of a timing belt gone bye bye!)

ok fine! :nana: anyways, heres a basic version. You get some bike tire repair kits, the ones with some strips of rubber. the ones i got came with a strip of 1x3, and a strip of 1x3 with small perforations (so you could take them apart and have 3 1x1 pieces) what I did, was basically take and glue them on to the outside of the current weather stripping, basically making a new over the old. 2 things to remember though (which is why i said i needed to redo mine) First, make sure that you put the same sides out all the way down, just makes it look more the same, and also, trim down the old weather strip until it has an even top line (since the bike kit rubber is thinner, itll follow the countours more). thats basically it, and although it's not the best way to do it, its cheap, easy, and looks pretty darn good for 3$ and a half hour of work

• 2 months later...

Hmm. Reminds me of a neighborhood caddy back in 1972 when I lived in downtown Baltimore -- the guy had hand sprayed the body (yes, pink) put wood grain contact paper on the roof, and used the edge of an old quilt tacked atop the inside of the windows for dingleballs. We called it the plastic pimpmobile. But no offense intended Matt-O, any port in a storm and all that. So I am researching the thing and have come down to rigid EDPM rubber strips coated on the glass side with a material called Xylan, which is high-tech low friction replacement for window felt (the fuzzy stuff that sits agin the glass). This could be laminated onto the original metal strip, after trimming the old rubber away. I haven't DONE it, but as it appears we're SOL here, I shall try and report what happens here. Give me a week or so to round up the stuff.

Jason Peelar was actually the one who told me about that about a year and a half ago or so, he was the one with the triple white 95 up in canada. Ill try and do a mini write up on it, but i cant get pics or anything (and I need to redo mine right, since when I did it I was stranded for two hours because of a timing belt gone bye bye!)

Yes, that was me that invented that quick fix. I am blessed with the 94 I just bought, it has perfect stripping on both sides! And I plan on keeping them that way! Here is another quick fix. If it is starting to crack in a few places. Get a piece of Black Electrical tape and put a strip across the entire piece of weatherstripping. In a few seconds you have a virtually brand new looking piece of weatherstripping!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If may last a few months of so, pull it off, then re-apply. Put some rubber protectant on it, it shines up and looks amazing...... I am currently working with a guy up here in canada who owns a rubber moulding fabricating shop. He took a look at the strips and can make something very similar to the OEM ones. All we need to do it punch the rivit holes......

The trick to keeping these strips in good shape is to CONSTANTLY apply some kind of protectant with UVB protection. Keep them soft and supple and they will last!!!!!

I will get a close up tomorrow, but these strips are original and they are 12 years old and they look brand new. Keep them treated!!!!

dd4ff3bb.jpg

1b3913fb.jpg

Jason.....

In case I haven't said it recently: Nice grab there, Jason! and, I think im going to try the electrical tape thingy now. Bought some tape and black wire loom to clean up my engine a bit, since its a tad messy looking after the engine got put in and the coils moved

How did the Electrical tape turn out Matt?

Haven't had time to do it [ right] yet, but ill post here when i do, hopefully sometime this week or maybe next (last week of classes, then finals next week, kinda busy :willynilly: )

It did for the most part, but I need to do it right. the kit i used came with one three inch by one inch piece and three 1x1 pieces, so i want to try maybe all 3" pieces, but i need to take the time to do it right and trim the old stuff first, which i didnt last time (cuz i fixed it waiting 2 hours for a ride when my timing belt blew, 2 hours from home and school! :lol: )

Oh, it doesn't come in strips but as many small pieces?

yeah, at least the one i got. I'll look into it again soon, cuz it worked really well, aside from the fact that they were multiple pieces

In that case, I'll try the electrical tape thing first. Can't you get flat black rubber strips somewhere? I'm almost sure I've seen something like that, somewhere. Then it could be glued on using some kind of rubber adhesive.

A long piece of Rubber the same width would work fine. Just rough up the old brittle piece so the Glue/New Rubber will stick better. When I did it on my 95' It lasted the time I had the car which was 5 years...... But if your weatherstripping simply is cracking or a smell piece of it is missing, throw some black electrical tape over it. Will look brand new!

• 7 months later...

A long piece of Rubber the same width would work fine. Just rough up the old brittle piece so the Glue/New Rubber will stick better. When I did it on my 95' It lasted the time I had the car which was 5 years...... But if your weatherstripping simply is cracking or a smell piece of it is missing, throw some black electrical tape over it. Will look brand new!

and jason pops in again :willynilly: Yeah, both my ideas came from this guy

• 3 weeks later...

ok, so wtf are the dew wipes??? let me know.. is it that rubber piece on the back side windows? cuz if so.. i need that as well.. and also, i am in love with that red on black convertible. my god it is perfect! I have been lookin around for a red on black convertible. I want to buy one, put all my parts on it, and take mine and do an off body restoration, because you guys haven't seen what it looks like up close.. both rear quarter panels are rusted out, one just got pushed through, needs new fenders, new doors, new top and window, windshield.. and the frame is rusted damn good.. If i do a off body restoration, ill restore mine to stock and put it at 0 miles and keep it under 1000 untill im 50, because these cars are going to be worth wayyyy too much!

that makes me really glad i got this one as opposed to the blue 3.1 92 i looked at before. it was cheaper and had a few more miles, and the slow 3.1, but had some rust underneath. mine has been in a few accidents and needs some body work, but no rust! needs a paint job royally, though :lol:

that makes me really glad i got this one as opposed to the blue 3.1 92 i looked at before. it was cheaper and had a few more miles, and the slow 3.1, but had some rust underneath. mine has been in a few accidents and needs some body work, but no rust! needs a paint job royally, though :lol:

trust me, doesnt need a paintjob.. send it over to me, ill fix it for $100.. it will look and feel better than brand new.. just needs to get detailed a few times by the pro! my car used to appear to be pink before i got into it.. now it looks better than any brand new car out there.. ballin

no, my car really does need a paintjob. I think it was sprayed over after an accident. it doesnt look horrible, but it definitely does need one down the road. other priorities first, though :mrgreen: