Why a cooler Thermostat?

Prospeeder

In autoshop, we learned that an engine runs best at 195-200 degrees, if ran lower such as 140-160 can cause alot of wear and oil contamination, so why a cooler thermostat? Wouldnt that do worse for our cars?

Not neccesarily.

Sure running cooler can wear rings out fater, but when you consider what all components in a TGP are cooled by coolant, it is worth it.

Your turbo, and oil cooler system are cooled by coolant. When running at 195, the cars get SOOOOOO hot under the hood, lots of heat soak and such.

Running at 160 keeps things much cooler.

so your motor dont cook the tranny. DAMN thats a deadly combo on your tranny, no valence and 200 degree motor. plus all that exhaust right there.

Prospeeder, did you do the ac fin mod yet? that could help you out until you get the valence.

so your motor dont cook the tranny. DAMN thats a deadly combo on your tranny, no valence and 200 degree motor. plus all that exhaust right there.

Prospeeder, did you do the ac fin mod yet? that could help you out until you get the valence.

The AC fin mod isn't going to affect the operating temp of the motor. There's still no certainty that it even really affects IC/air temps.

I dont see why it would, or big Intercooler companies would just not put fins on thier intercoolers to save money, no?

Well, your not doing anything to the intercooler, you are allowing it to recieve air without the restriction of the A/C condensor fins in the way.

It probably doesn't help noticably, but might allow the intercooler to cool the air change slightly better than before. I cdertainly didn't notice a difference in my car.

there is a huge difference. OMGWTF! are you guys serious!

Ice cold air literally blows all heat off the top of your engine compartment and right out the hood louvre. Does that not make sense? :lol: WTF?

It opens a huge wind tunnel in there. I wonder about some of you guys sometimes.

Am I the only one that has a CAI and the AC fin mod?

Its like adding ram air to a supercharged motor

I dont see why it would, or big Intercooler companies would just not put fins on thier intercoolers to save money, no?

Well, your not doing anything to the intercooler, you are allowing it to recieve air without the restriction of the A/C condensor fins in the way.

It probably doesn't help noticably, but might allow the intercooler to cool the air change slightly better than before. I cdertainly didn't notice a difference in my car.

Oh, i got confused somewhere then, I thought you took the fins out of the intercooler....you do it to the Air conditioning Condensor?

prospeeder you may want to get a license plate bracket. I got an extra if you need it, then you could get that much more flow right there on the nose.

Josh, I wonder what you are talking about. Or even if this has anything to do with you. Quit the flamage.

I stuck my front plate between the dash and windshield on the passenger side. That's still technically illegal here, but no one's bothered me yet about it (and in this town of bored cops, they'd be all over you if it was really a problem).

I stuck my front plate between the dash and windshield on the passenger side. That's still technically illegal here, but no one's bothered me yet about it (and in this town of bored cops, they'd be all over you if it was really a problem).

I took mine off for 1 day last summer when I finally got my valence on.

got pulled over :lol:.

so I put the bracket back on. :evil:

:devil: Josh, you wanna see me get pissed! :shock: 8) :P just kidding.

scared you though.....I seen you flinch......

there is a huge difference. OMGWTF! are you guys serious!

Ice cold air literally blows all heat off the top of your engine compartment and right out the hood louvre. Does that not make sense? :lol: WTF?

It opens a huge wind tunnel in there. I wonder about some of you guys sometimes.

Am I the only one that has a CAI and the AC fin mod?

Its like adding ram air to a supercharged motor

I don't know how it would make a HUGE difference, The A/C condensor by DESIGN allows air to flow through it, otherwise it wouldn't be placed in front of the radiator. Air blows through the fins to decipate the heat within the condensor. If anything the air is now blowing through the intercooler, onto the transmission and up to the vent.

It was getting cold air the whole time, the air is just less restricted than before because it isn't getting slowed down by the condensor anymore. It's not a piece of cardboard, air flows through the condensor just as it flows through the intercooler and radiator.

As I posted in my last post, I did the A/C fin mod, and didn't notice much of anything. It might be worth 1-2 HP on the DYNO.

What you should really be arguing is how much the mod degrades the A/C performance and component life due to the 1/4 less heat decipation in the condensor.

What you should really be arguing is how much the mod degrades the A/C performance and component life due to the 1/4 less heat decipation in the condensor.

I was wondering the same thing, how it would hurt the A/C components

I took mine off for 1 day last summer when I finally got my valence on.

got pulled over :lol:.

so I put the bracket back on. :evil:

You mean you took it off all together? Because I'm sure I'd get nailed for that in a heartbeat around here, too. The only reason I don't think anyone's bothered me yet about it is because you can clearly see it in the windshield, still, and I guess most cops figure something's wrong with where it usually goes since you still have a plate showing.

Guest TurboSedan

that's where i have my TSTE front plate. i don't want to drill holes in the bumper cover but it sucks having it up on the dash too :?

that's where i have my TSTE front plate. i don't want to drill holes in the bumper cover but it sucks having it up on the dash too :?

Yeah, same here. I have the plates for both the turbos there, but I did it on the TSTE for that same reason. Car came to me from Virginia, where apparently, they don't require front plates, because there was no where to put it (no holes, either). I don't mind it in the windshield as much as how it looks where it normally goes. Front plates ruin the front end of a car to me.

I didn't notice any regradation in A/C performance, stilll SEEMED to work the same, but then again I was supposed to view a OMGHUGEWTF increase in performance, and I didn't notice that either.

Here's a good explaination of how A/C and the condensor works:

http://www.familycar.com/Classroom/ac1.htm

You wont notice until a 80-90 degree day or hotter. but it is always working to keep down heat soak unquestionably. Imagine a half case of beer cans directly in the way if the intercooler. thats exactly what it is. you take the intercooler out 1 time and it bends all the fins sideways making it like a 5 layer block of cardboard and pure heat soak. and yes, it does NOT affect the performance of a 15 year old ac system. which would do you no good if your motor is already heat soaked.

when its hot out though and I pop the hood and stick my hand down in front of the turbo, the intercooler fan is just bathing the turbo and CAI with TONS of cool air. you can see the heat waves dissipate.

Yeah, same here. I have the plates for both the turbos there, but I did it on the TSTE for that same reason. Car came to me from Virginia, where apparently, they don't require front plates, because there was no where to put it (no holes, either). I don't mind it in the windshield as much as how it looks where it normally goes. Front plates ruin the front end of a car to me.

I had mine in the windshield when I got pulled over, apparently it is illegal unless you have it on the front and back bumper here. I had to sweet talk my way out of getting a ticket. I presented my licence,registration, insurance, and an explanation of why; I had to paint the valence.

Quote:As I posted in my last post, I did the A/C fin mod, and didn't notice much of anything. It might be worth 1-2 HP on the DYNO

Well, on a DYNO it may only be 1-2 horse, you may be right.....

....on the road, when you are driving hard around town with the AC blowing and hot pavement under you, there is a lot more ponies to be freed.

forgot to tell yall earlier, you want that extra edge for a little bit cooler; pull the firewall insulation strip on the engine bay by the windshield. another oldschool trick from some of the smarter people here.