WTF is Air Injection?

CuttySup

Its usually a system that injects extra air into the exhaust stream to help emissions. I think the idea behind it is to oxidize the NO emissions that come directly from the engine to NO2 which the catalytic converter can more easily absorb and get rid of safely.

The way I would fix it would be to remove it. The AIR injection only injects air into the exhaust stream during open-loop operation. Open loop operation occurs when the car is warming up to operatin temperature or the gas pedal and thus throttle position sensor are nearly wide open. So, during normal operation this system is not active. I have only seen one of these myself, my 90 GP LE 5spd parts car. I have never owned a vehicle with one. Hopefully someone else with a newer vehicle that has one will add some input.

If I removed it the computer would still show a DTC showing a malfunction with the system because there isn't one! Do you think that I would have a problem removing it? I know that there are Intrigues without it :?

There shouldnt be any problems removing it. The ones on the 5spd Gen I Ws were very easy to remove. As for it throwing a code, if there are intruiges with the same engine/tranny combo, but no AIR system you might could use their ECMs. If that doesnt work, remove it, then ask the dealer why is gives you a code for something you dont have. Or, you could find out what kind of circuit conditions cause it to throw a code. For example, an open circuit b/n x wire and y wire will throw the code, then do some wiring or connecting so thinks its working properly.

You could remove it, however, I think it would be easier (maybe better off?) to fix it.

Depending on how mechanically include you are, I would take a test light, I would probe the connectors at the pump and the valves. One of these is probably not returning a signal, thus the DTC. That should get you started.

air injection reaction system:

(AIR system) The AIR system helps to reduce hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide levels in the exhaust by injecting air into the exhaust ports of each cylinder during cold engine operation, or directly into the catalytic converter during normal operation. It also helps the catalytic converter to reach proper operating temperature quickly during warm-up. If a GM cars has an air pump, the system is an AIR otherwise it is a PULSAIR system.

Its only for cars under california emissions. Its prob a PITA to remove from the sounds of it. Better fix it.