1997 Cavi CD Player in 93 Lumina??

jjs316

it is plenty of work. I damaged the first board i was going to use by overheating and delaminating one of the wires.... so be careful. play with a junk radio if you have one, first.

You need to take the lower case's bottom panel off the radio, you will see the inside, and see some wires that go to the bottom of the radio's faceplate. You must carefully disconnect those (two bundles).

You need to remove the nut thats on the primary shaft, and all the knobs. Then you see tabs around the outeredge of the faceplate, basically two per side. You need to pry each one of these tabs up and pull forward on the face. Sometime multiple knives pinned under several of them will allow it to slip off...

Once the face is seperated, there are several small bolts holding the circuit board to the face. I used vice-grips to remove these as they are smaller than any socket I have. Then the board comes off. Then I reinsert the board into the radio, without faceplate, and plug it's two wire bundles back in, and run out to the car and plug it in. Turn the headlights on and with a permanant marker mark the bad bulbs.

Donors? The microbulb is a 12 volt bulb, you might check radioshack... But I got used bulbs. In fact, I had to open three radios to get enough bulbs. The 90-94 lumina radio has the same bulb but only two. The similiar casette deck 95+ has almost the saem number of bulbs. but a 95 regal radio hd wrong bulbs, as did a 95 CS radio.

I was able to plug in and circle all the good bulbs from the donors, and remove the good donors and bad ones from the board to be fixed with a solder gun. and retesting revealed that not all bulbs successuylly transplanted, so I had to repeat about 2.

Once they all work, put the face on and screw the bolts back in with vice grips. snap the face in place, and wires, and test test test. make sure everything goes together correctly :)

One good TIP: I always run my interior dimming lights at less than full brightness, that Extends Bulb Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! In fact, they are usually at the very bottom of the scale.

Sweet. I don't have any problems YET but I'm sure I will in the future. Now I know how to do it. Thanks!

Actually... I thought I had two burned out bulbs, but I had six!

Running with lights slightly dimmed will extend the bulb life!