Chroming

Burnout524

If I were to buy painted alloys, about how much would it cost me to get them chromed? I like these ADR Kasai rims, but I can't find them anywhere! I've seen them on ebay ($199 for a set of 4 :shock:) but they're silver painted and I want chrome. Heres a pic of the rims for those of you who are curious:

DSC01875.JPG

I have a feeling its gonna be wicked expensive, but I'm not sure how expensive we're talking. If I buy these rims at that price (a few dollars more per rim than steelies), then I'm not sure if it'd be worth it to get them chromed or not.

TIA

You're probably better off just finding some chrome wheels that you like...I'm sure there are some wheels out there nearly identical to that, but with a chrome finish that will fit. By the way, I've heard of some chrome dipped wheels not holding up very well.

Personally I wouldnt get em chromed. I only say this because you have to be very anal about taking care of them. If you dont, the chrome will start to peel. and chrome dipping is not exactly the best thing. My dad has gone through about 5 sets of chrome rims on his car. Plus with the waxes and polishes today, polished Al. can look just as good as chrome. So personally Id say get a polished Al. rim or just get those and have them sent out to get polished. Still cheaper than chrome.

Personally I wouldnt get em chromed. I only say this because you have to be very anal about taking care of them. If you dont, the chrome will start to peel. and chrome dipping is not exactly the best thing. My dad has gone through about 5 sets of chrome rims on his car. Plus with the waxes and polishes today, polished Al. can look just as good as chrome. So personally Id say get a polished Al. rim or just get those and have them sent out to get polished. Still cheaper than chrome.

:werd:

It'll definitely cost you about $200-250/wheel, not worth it.

I've had both polished and chrome 077's (and other brands/models of polished and chrome wheels). By FAR the polished looked nowhere NEAR as good as the chrome. They look kinda sorta close in pics, but in real life, chrome makes polished look bad.

Chrome holds up extremely well if kept away from salt. That means don't use them in the winter. Chrome is a very non-porous finish so it holds up extremely well and is easier to clean than any other finish.

While I agree that Chromed is better than polished aluminum (easier to keep shiney, MUCH shinier no matter what) I also agree that it isn't worth it to get them chrome dipped. Too expensive. Those wheels there would look best with the stock paint, I think they'd be too flashy chromed or polished.

They used to make those rims in a finish they called HMC Silver (it was like chrome, i guess). I figure if i'm gonna spend a ton of money on rims (hey, $200 for 4 is still a lot), i might as well go with chrome.

Plus I definatelly wouldn't run them in the winter with all the salt and crap. Thats why i'm not gonna sell/trade the stocker's.

But anyway, thanks for the help fellas!

Shawn, if it matters at all, my rims are polished Al. and everyone has mistaken them for chrome. Both from pictures and in person. Honestly, when polished Al. is cleaned up really good (Ill admit may take a while. Takes me about 40 minutes a rim) they pretty much look like chrome.

Im not trying to disagree on purpose or to step on your toes or anything, but thats just coming from actualy events that have happened to me.

I don't trust other peoples' eye for detail (or lack thereof). I've had people mistake my polished wheels for chrome too, but those are people who don't have a good eye for detail. Side-by-side comparison, anyone can tell the difference. The AE077's I had that were hi-polished were brand spanking new and I've even seen posts by hi-polished 077 owners that claim they look like chrome, but compared to real chrome wheels, they looked nothing alike, not to me anyway. Chrome and polished aluminum aren't even the same color!

I know for a fact chrome doesn't like salt...my friend's dad's boss has a Porsche 911 brand new and he drives it in winter...his stock wheels are all destroyed now...no finish left on them

I hate to admit it, but I still have the chromies on my Spyder :( .....despite the fact that I know it isn't a good idea....I have been looking for a decent deal on a set of winter rims/tires but I haven't found a good enough deal locally....

I don't know jack shit about Porsches....I *think* it is a 911 - but are 911s available as awd or 4wd?? Because that is what his is - and yeah his wheels turned white :?

He also ordered a rand new BMW M5..one of the brand new ones, he even got a diecast model of the car being built mailed to him...I havent seen the car yet..I'm not sure if it has arrived.

if you want chrome go buy chrome rims.....I agree with Shawn, you should be able to tell the difference between real chrome and polished or any other finish....

:werd:

If it's shiney people that don't know what aluminum is are just gonna call it chrome cause they don't know any better...

I know for a fact chrome doesn't like salt...my friend's dad's boss has a Porsche 911 brand new and he drives it in winter...his stock wheels are all destroyed now...no finish left on them

Yeah, when I said chrome doesn't like salt, I was speaking from experience. :oops: I made the mistake of taking too long before cleaning the salt off my truck's chrome wheels. Now they have very tiny pits all over that you can see if you look very closely at them (the chrome emblems and trim on my Cutlass are this way too, now I know why). I didn't realize salt would affect them that quickly and that harshly since they were pristine and perfect every time I washed them up until the salt got on 'em. :cry: It was even a very mild winter last year and they only salted the roads once or twice all winter! I wised up with my 94 Cutlass and swapped the factory wheels back on in December.

If you have to use the wheels in winter, I'd definitely pick polished over chrome. Although polished will dull in the winter, elbow grease and polish will bring back the shine. With chrome, once it's pitted or peeled, it's screwed and will need to be stripped and replated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm how is he a moron? If you can afford it why not do it. i have a friend that drives a vette in winter and he is his response to people,"thats why i pay for insurance" if you cant drive it the way u like it then why drive it.

check this site out. we had a custom old bmx frame and forks rechromed

wasnt that bad of a prices eitherhttp://www.goldtouchinc.com/mobileautomotive/

find out how much that place would charge to triple dip a complete set of rims in chrome and then get back to us with the results....